close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sunday Night Ohio River fishing

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by spiff, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Fished the Ohio from the bank on the Ohio side just east of River Downs. Fished from 6:30 pm until 4am. Goldfish and cut skippies. Caught 1 small channel and a 20lb gar. Reached for the gar (mistake) and promptly got my left index finger and thumb sliced. What a mean SOB. Too big to pick up...maybe 36". Put on my gloves and got my hook back...6/0 circle hook right in the bill of the fish...now that's a sharp hook.

I never realized how big and dangerous gar can be. The gill plates are as sharp as razors...cut my leather glove at the index finger...geez. I let it go, but I'll probably regret it. I couldn't get my hand around it's body/head so I just pinned it to the bank and got my "don't mess with me" pliers out and pulled the hook. It was a good fight, but based on the scars I think he got the best of me.

Got a lot of runs, but they all acted like gar...with the usual lack of bait at the end of the run. There was a lot of "structure" under water (10-15 feet deep) and I lost a hook about every 5th cast. It was a nice night to be out...until the fireworks let out. I wish I had my video camera to document the IDIOTS on the river heading home. Maybe a 100 boats going all kinds of speeds dodging barges on both sides of the channel. I could have made a fortune selling chain-driven water-cooled 50 cal. machine guns and ammo to the two reasonable boaters out there.

I'm hoping for rain to stir things up and cool the water off. Does anyone remember what a flathead looks like????;)

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

For the life of me I dont remember what a flathead looks like.