Sunday Float, now with teeth!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RareVos, Sep 30, 2007.

1. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Got on the water sort of late but the fog kept the dawn type conditions going. I was dragging a buzzbait around some stellar looking cover on this river I've never floated before. Got the typical topwater bite... a nice boil with report. The fish is coming at me and feels like a winner. So as it approaches my boat it charges under doubling my rod. Good thing I put on some braid as the 6lb would have been toast. Champion smallie on? I horse the thing up and... I'm looking at a couple feet of northern pike. Now, I'm not prepared to deal with this. I don't know where to grab it. I don't have a net. Do I really want this in my lap? Hmm. The fish however didn't hang around for me to make up my mind what to do. He gave me a wink and jumped off the hook deftly. I held it for a good 20 seconds... didn't even have a chance to drop my camera in the water. Oh yeah, went to catch a bunch of beautiful smallies. Conditions were tough, tough, tough. Bit off way more river than I could chew... in more ways than one. I got some divine intervention in the form of a much needed pitstop and round-trip transport of my car from put-in to take-out. Sweet. I'm going to try and do the rest of that float this weekend. With a little more planning/support.

2. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Heres some pics of a couple smallies from that float. Notice the rancid shad gak on upchucked on my leg.

3. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

And here is what the pike looks like in my memory, due to the nasty, big, pointy teeth!

4. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Nice fish. I think we need thy holy hand grenade of antiock!

5. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

For real. Seriously though... is there some kind of protocol to be used to boat, unook, and photo a very angry fish with one hand while being sucked toward rapids?

6. StuckAtHome

lol, try landing a 16 incher on the koko thats already 1 foot high that you caght in an eddy as you fly by it cruising backwards, then with big fish on and a huge killer strainer ahead, I know the feeling, I got him in over two football fields after I hooked him, with over 4 complete 360's in the yak and a bunch of cussing. The best way is brock's way, when he gets a snag and is running into trouble, he throws the rod in the river, recovers, then goes back after it,lol.

7. haha hilarious....wish i couldve been there!!!!!!! at least there was fish to be caught!

8. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

throw the rod in the river eh? that's straight up kamikaze. i will say one thing that fast moving water really teaches one the importance of eddies on the water... be it sticking or hopping... use the eddies or just watch the good cover wizz on by.

9. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I am going BACK to supply the proper bragging pictures. I was talking to a local dude just putting in when i was taking out. He had a nice picture of 5lb smallie on his phone recently caught in that stretch. Got some intel on the main stomping grounds of these northerns too. He then roared off in his jet boat in search of the bronzeback. These folks are serious.

10. StuckAtHome

What water around here is a jet boat in, not looking for fishing spots, just what flow has enough water, and northerns in any amount for that matter.

11. speaking of jet boat once again i about got ran off the water at alum this evening...thought maybe siince the water was low and cooler the jet skis and go fast boats wouldnt be out in full effect...they were though...one boat went flying by me..he was supposed to have a bad day but got luckey since i was in two foot of rockey water and he was in casting distance. and i guess some jet skis had a wreck there on some rocks...police, firemen, and medics were tending to two jet skiers who wrecked at new galena ramp when i was about to take the boat out.

12. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Just basic jonboat type affair with an outboard jet will run in inches of water. It is noisy as all hell though and I would think you spook all the fish in a mile radius with one of those.

13. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

The Scioto river has a population of northern pike in it. A jet boat could have been on the north end of O'shaunessy where the river dumps in. Nice area. I have been meaning to fish it, but I think it gets a lot of pressure.

CG

14. LOL!! That's awesome!!
    First pike I caught in a yak was out towards "the basket". It did me the same pleasure of unhooking itself, but unfortunately fell into my yak....too many teeth not enough space.
    Sounds like a good day.

15. StuckAtHome

Its not fun when a non-toothy critter finds its way into the yak, a small rocky finned me real good a few times trying to get out, he was real green too since I "surf" the small guys in on my 7.1 retrieve baitcaster.

16. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

That would be a real hoot in a sit-in yak. Enclosed space, dude in skimpy shorts, angry 30" fish with a mouth full of razor sharp chompers. In the immortal words of the Bard: "Screw that noise!"

17. Not to mention the fact the in a Sit-in-yak, your legs are typically bent at the knees, and outward like a ballerina stance.
    So "the boys" are VERY much not in a good position for said toothy critter.

18. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Ha Ha! I bet you screamed like a little girl to! Certainly not a good place to land a pike!

CG

19. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Of all the non-lethal ways to remove yourself from the gene pool, "balls bitten off by northern pike" has to be one of the more notorious.