close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sunday 2-6 at mosquito

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by just perchy, Feb 9, 2005.

1. i thought about going to presque on sunday, but the cost of the pa. license and gas for the trip changed my mind. i settled for mosquito. i got there at 8am and within seconds of dropping my line i had a 10" crappie, followed by a 14" largemouth. the bite was pretty furious for the first 3 or so hours. the bite tailed off around noon, but was active enough to keep my interest. i also knew that they would pick-up again at dusk. i waited them out and sure enough at 6pm. the went berserk again, this lasted til about seven and then they shut down. i ended up catching 32 crappies (kept 27 nice ones), 2 perch, 1 bluegill, and 1 largemouth. it was a full day but i enjoyed every minute of it. the area that i fished was the south- east side near the rt.305 roadbed in 16 to 18 fow, with the bait about 3ft. up off the bottom. oh yeah, also i picked up 4 dozen minnies at the "one stop bait shop" on rt.44 by ladue. i used every bit of 4 dozen minnows on this day and had at least 3 dozen left in the bucket. talk about an awesome count. :)

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

nice job on the crappie! did you catch any over 11"? did you hear of any walleye caught?

i give up on the walleye out there..... next time i go out there i think ill just target crappie...there so fun to catch and tasty too!

3. I was out there saturday. Did not do well at all in the same area as Just Perchy. But there was a guy about 200 yards more toward the middle was doing well on the walleye. If the Ice is good I think I am going back out on saturday.

Matt

4. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Thanks for the report. If the ice is good this weekend I'll probably give the roadbed a try. I too will pass on the PA license as long as it is around the $60 mark. If they're trying to cut down on the out-of-state anglers then it worked on me.

5. hardwaterfan

"But there was a guy about 200 yards more toward the middle was doing well on the walleye"

thats all i needed to hear.... ;)

sometimes i hear the fish laughing at me :confused: :eek:

how about one rod up one rod down gimme a walleye and a crappie!!!! :D :D

6. wanna go thursday morning, is the ice is still good? don't wanna drive all that way for nothing. has anyone been during the week? that catch sounds like a lot of fun congrats on the catch. gota give it another shot.

7. hey hardwater all were in the 9 to 11" range, with most around 10". no real big slabs and all but a couple were black crappies, which don't usually seem to be as big as the white crappies, but a more husky.

8. oh yeah, i as far as the walleye fishing, guys i spoke with were not doing well on the walleyes at all. most gave up after a short while.

9. hardwaterfan

just perchy, thanks for the come-back.

last time i was there i also caught crappie in that same size class but no where near the numbers you put up....i figured you got to see a lot more of them than i did.....i think a 10" crappie is still pretty darn nice!

10. and husky!!! how thick is the ice?