close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

summit lake

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by greg3891, Sep 28, 2004.

1. I am sure you know but that lake is so polluted its not funny. They talked about developing it with a board walk, rental boats and the whole nine yards, but decided against it because of the 90 + contaminents on the bottom. They didnt want them stirred up. I would be real careful on that lake and C &R everything.

2. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

that lakes no more polluted than any other lake in NE.all
    lakes in an urban setting are going to have abit of filth,lol
    its no more polluted than Long or Springfield IMO.although i cant
    back that up with science.but if you think about it,i bet a lake that
    gets alot of boat action like springfeild or turkeyfoot would be in
    alot worse shape water qulity wise.summit gets maybe 3-5 boats a week
    if its lucky.if you sit around at these lanch ramps at springfield or Pls
    and you will see the pigs that are useing these lakes.i once saw a
    guy spil an oil container right into the water over at TF ramp,and
    you cant count how many motors are leaky.maybe Summit makes up
    with a few cars every year,or the locals dummping god knows what in.lol.
    the fact is that summit has some big fish and we will never discover the true
    potential because its not fished,for a good number of reasons.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I don't think oils are the problem, oils wash down stream into lake erie. There are alot of industrial heavy metals and other things in there. Not a place i would swim. It's the only lake i have seen.....ever, that would not freeze during winter, although, in the past few years there has been a sheet of ice coverings it, although i wouldn't walk on it to try it.

4. bgpark1

bgpark1 Catching and Releasing

i have kayaked the canal up to and around the lake many times... since the canal is only 1/2 mile from my house on Wilbeth rd... anyway... decades of industrial waste is the issue to this lake... most is buried a few feet under sediment and your right that the city dropped development due to the massive clean up costs... but the water is clean and clear to the eye... i would limit any eating of the fish... but there are big boys swimming in there for sure... walleye and pike are plentiful but bass galore and crappie the same... i watched some folks fishing and keeping tons of little 6-8 crappie 2 years ago from shore... they said they eat it all the time... kinda questioned if it was healthy for them to do that since none had teeth including the kids... and you could tell they were lacking mental power... not nice but true... looked like an example of lead poisoning from what i have read.... not that that was due to the fish from the lake... something was just off.

the pipe rack is a bait store near there and tobacco shop... over the years i have seen many pictures of summit lake catches that are most impressive.

5. I am not saying that there isnt nice fish in there, but I am say that there is scietific proof that the contaminents in that lake are many. There was a list of at leat 90 chemicals found in a study that lay on the bottom of the lake.
    If you want to eat the fish out of there more power to ya. Fish it and have fun. Just a fact.

6. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i know with all the rubber co dumping waste into the erie canal for years and then the canal dumping into summit and nesmith lakes that i would not eat fish out of it i just want to catch some of the pigs that got to be in their...........jim

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I fished it for the first time this past Saturday. I would never eat anything from there, but the bass that I caught looked very healthy.