close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Summetime Slabs

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RONK, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Went crappie fishing at Ladue last night. We found the slab crappie suspended over 17' water. We threw out a marker & trolled back & forth through them. We caught 25 crappie & 5 bluegill. None of the crappie were under 10". We were trolling 1/16 oz spinner rigs with a tube jig tipped with a wax worm.

2. Hello

I Take It Yiu Were On The North End? East Or West Side.
    I Was Out There Sunday ( 2nd Time Every) And I Couldn't Find Anything Yet The Shad Were Jumoing All Over The Place. I Actually Caught 1 On A Spinner

Thanks

3. Lund 1 check your messages

4. How deep were the crappie you were catching?

I was out last night on a local lake and we caught a couple suspended when we were tossing larger tube jigs for bass. I downsized in the same area but did not get any more.

I am also curious that if you were finding them several feet down, how were you maintaining the proper depth on a 1/16 spinner rig? I may want to try something like that.

Thanks,
    Brian

5. This is a pattern I figured out several years ago. With a 1/16 oz tube jig backtrolling with my 46 lb thrust motor I'm running between 10-12 foot deep depending on direction wind speed etc. It's relatively easy to control depth if the wind is minimal. The crappie will show up on your fish finder as a virtual straight line & during the summer they usually suspend 4 or 5 feet off the bottom. You can either use a 1/16 oz spinner rig or a double rig with two 1/32 oz tube jigs. Even got a double header on one of these rigs last week. You need to pull your lures 1-3 feet over the top of them, they will move up to take a bait never down. Towards the evening & in early morning hours they may be up a little higher in the water column. As far as amount of line out, it's about as far as you can cast with an ultralight. You can adjust your line out & your speed until you get them.