Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hitting a few different places in the last few weeks stocking up on bluegill in the freezer. Several places have been OK, but mostly 7" fish with the occasional 8". Been getting plenty big enough to get a knife through though. Tried a spot I have overlooked for a while and made out good tonight. Only a couple 7" with several 8" and bigger.

Funny how small lakes change over the years. This particular small town reservoir is fairly deep but not very big. For years the best way to catch the bluegill was deep under a float..... like 6' or deeper. Had to use slip floats lots of times. Since then the city has changed their routine for filling the reservoir and switched to electronic algae control. I can no longer catch fish deep, pretty much everything comes up high. A jig and waxie pegged no more than 2' deep does the damage.

Sure was nice to hear the drag singing on the ultra light rig. Fished from 8:30 till it was too dark to see my float. Caught a couple while the sun was still up but did better once it got a bit darker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tried bresler a few weeks ago for gills and struck out. I always hear about guys doing good but its night and day difference between the 3 muddy west central lakes i normally fish.

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I tried bresler a few weeks ago for gills and struck out. I always hear about guys doing good but its night and day difference between the 3 muddy west central lakes i normally fish.
I've never fished Bresler but it looks like (just viewing from Google maps) a lot of the reservoirs i fish over my way. If it is clear deep water..... your best bet is probably fishing right at dusk in the general area of the boat ramps or pump houses. You might not get a bite until 9:00 and then put on a show for that last hour of light until you can't see anymore. If the bugs don't carry you away that is. My legs are pretty lumped up from the skeeters the other night. When it gets dark, it can be amazing how the panfish will come up to the surface out over deep water. I always assume they are eating emerging bugs - wax worms or tiny hair jigs are usually my best options.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When theyre randomly poppin over deep water like that is when a bluegill popper behind a weighted bobber really shines you can cover alot of water that way Walmart sells those orange foam round weighted ones with the yellow push button on them Those work great for that
Or a hair jig under them

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a hurtin' on them tonight at a different reservoir. Only fished for about an hour at last light and could have left 15 minutes early honestly. Once the sun actually went down it was only 7" crappie that were biting. Surface activity across the entire reservoir was constant tonight. Schools of bluegill, shad and carp. Some big boils along the edge I would guess were smallies too. Completely dead wind.... beautiful evening. No sunset pics because I was too damn busy catching fish. :D Hair jig did the damage and was tipping with waxworms to start. Found out I didn't really need the the meat pretty quickly. They just wanted in my bucket. Majority of fish were 8" or better. Fun evening.

Been a while since I have bought the Great Lakes IPA....... not sure why. Good sh!t!

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been out a few more times recently, jumping around to different reservoirs. 15 decent size gills came home with me the other night. Last light has been good to me.

Our outdoor cat had a confrontation with a mayfly over the scraps. :D

I had to run about an hour away to pick up a part for my camper and decided to try a reservoir I have never fished at. Not my normal fishing time frame for sure. Got there at about 9:30 in the morning, fished till around 1:00 and didn't do too bad. Spent some time walking around looking for shallow areas that were not over taken by the weeds. Caught a really nice crappie there but only small bluegill after that. Did some more walking and found a spot that dropped off quicker but had weeds close by in a shallow corner of the res. Did excellent in that area until a douwpour ran me off. Brought home 6 gills and 1 perch. Caught lots of nice size cats as well as a bucket full of 5" perch. Of course the small perch all went back to grow some more. I was missing lots of bites at first so decided to take my bobber off and thread a quarter of a crawler on a small jig head and chuck it out as far as possible. The bluegill were taking off with the rig before it ever got to the bottom and i was getting the perch when it did make it down past the bluegill. Going to be sure and try this reservoir again in the future.

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fished this evening at one of my favorite upgrounds. 14 ended up making the trip home but we lost a couple decent fish to bad luck and wobbly rip-rap. Haha. Most of my evening fishing trips here recently have been with my 18 year old nephew that is heading to Ft. Benning in mid August to start his career in the Army. I'm trying to show him the ropes of bluegill fishing rather than chasing those bass. :D He is catching on pretty well. Even told me tonight he might like this style of fishing over bass fishing. I really need to put him on a couple 20" smallies and show him how fun they ALL are.

Anyway.... same old same old pattern for tonight. The bluegill are still up high eating bugs right at dusk out over the deep water. 1/32 oz jig pegged about 2 feet under a float with a waxworm is the recipe for success. The schools of fish were moving around quite a bit tonight so just had to keep an eye out for boils on the surface that were blue gill rather than carp.

Half went in the deep freeze and half are going to get fried up for my kids on Friday night for some sandwiches. Mrs. AtticaFish and I already had some salmon out thawing for our dinner. ;)

That money shot of the fish on the cleaning table might look the same each time I post...... but I can always tell one night from the next by the brew on hand for the cleaning session.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Joined to post here. Nice catches and brew! Have lived in Sandusky my whole life and ate me many a fish but never bluegill and I am determined to put an end to that! Have heard from some folks it's the best tasting fish we have. Over the years I fished a few times but have never really knew what I am doing and have never cleaned a single fish. Bought some books and studying but admit I barely understand most of what you guys are saying. That being said, long time homebrewer and actually a certified beer judge some I can talk about beer with authority! LOL.

Waxworm is a grub right? Bait stores carry these or need to dig up my lawn that is full of them? What jig for bluegill?

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zwiller - You are on the right track..... bluegill is in the running for the top spot of tasty white flesh fish in my books. Bluegill, perch and walleye would be the top three and really come in no particular order. As for hooks or jigs, you want to use something on the smaller side. Generally speaking, hook sizes in the #10, #8 or #6 size is what you want to use. #6 is getting on the bigger size, but if the bluegills in the area are big you won't have any trouble. #10's are getting on the small size so you will get a few hook swallows with that size, but not enough to worry about. With a plain hook setup, you will want to add a split shot weight somewhere close to your hook just to get the hook down and be able to see bites. I prefer to use jigs instead because then you do not need the additional weight on the line, the hook is directly in line with the bobber then. Just my opinion. You are also correct, a waxworm is a type of grub. You can get them at most bait shops and even some gas stations have them as well. Nightcrawlers or redworms work also as long as you use a somewhat small piece..... but i always feel like waxworms or maggots are a better option. Just my preference maybe. What kind of bobber you use can help you also. Use the smallest bobber you can get by with for how much weight you have on the line or in the jighead. You want the weight to pull down the bobber a little on its own and keep the line tight so you will see the bobber twitch when the bluegill come up and take a taste.

As for the beer, i do love me a good ripe IPA. The hoppier the better. I just picked up a Terrapin Beer Co brew called LuAu that is a Hawaiian style IPA. Never heard of such a thing before but found out it is another style i like. :D Says brewed with passion fruit, orange and guava. It is a sweeter IPA than most so that tames down the bitter hop bite some. Good stuff. :cool:

·
Jiggin Freak
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zwiller If you go to cook a bunch up, make sure you use a light batter like bread crumds Zatarins works great I like Zatarins Crispy Southern A little zing to it Things like Drakes are way to heavy
I prefer the light bread crumb and panko batter as well. My wife is usually in charge of that if we fry it. Hard to beat simple panfish thrown right in a hot skillet with butter, salt, pepper and plenty of lemon too. We do that pretty often over the fire out camping.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice thread with updates! Good to
See those big bluegills

Also good choices on the beer, favorite Ohio seasonal is chill wave double ipa by Great Lakes. Truth is great for all around I just don’t like the ones that are straight hops only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
THANKS GENTS! I actually get what you mean by jig vs split shot. Still fuzzy about the use of a jig, does this mean ANY jig or a "panfish" jig? I realize there is a ton of personal preference. Wow, just realized you can mold your own! My Dad is absolutely addicted to melting lead sinkers LOL. Hasn't done any in probably 20 years. Mind blown...

You guys killing me with the cook talk already, baby steps...

I am not really into the newer hip IPA meets fruit juice or NEIPA milk shakes but love IPA. Current faves are Fathead Headhunter, TBK White Rajah, and of course my own.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts