close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Summer Tactics

Discussion in 'Stripers & Hybrids' started by BiteMyLine, Jun 26, 2007.

1. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

Just wondering how the fishing tactics change during the summer months. I know a lot of other fish change feeding patterns and often leave certain area's to try to find cooler water. I'm more interested in the summer patterns below ohio river dams, havent had much opportunity in the summer to fish them much in the summer with a busy schedule but when I have been out there it seems like I never do very good. Is it just a lack of active fish or do they move out of these area's during certain months? Also what kind of lures does anybody have success with. I hear a lot of talk that the sumer topwater bite isn't too bad out at Meldahl, what kind of topwater lures does anybody throw and what kind of weight, and where to find them?

2. The best thing to do would be to go and watch some locals and get some info. I've fished 4 different tailraces this year and most are the same but the slightest changes in tactics can make a big difference. You need to see what bait is there and what they are after. At some dams you need equipment to make long casts,like Meldahl and Greenup.Some like Gallipolis and Racine you can get them on short casts. I think Meldahl is the farthest cast I've had to make at a dam. Gallipolis is the shortest. As for topwaters, I prefer to use a launcher float with a fluke tied to a leader 2 0r 3 feet behind it . Some people prefer a shorter leader because they will try to hit the float. Lead spoons work great. Pencil poppers ,Striper Strikes, weighted Zara Spooks,Bucktail Jigs. Live bait,such as shad,mooneyes and skipjacks, crank baits,shad raps , gizz 4's,big rattletraps,cordell redfins, the possibilites are endless because when they bite,they'll bite almost anything that gets in the way,hungry or not. There are folks here more experienced than me and I'm sure they'll chime in ,but I hope this gets you started.

3. I fish Pike Island frequently and in the summer/early fall it seems like alot of action takes place in the early morning (4am-6am) and only if the gate closest to the pier is open. It doesnt have to be open alot but flow needs to be coming out. Also, if there isnt any shad or skipjack in there the hybrids wont be in there either.

There is a small group of guys that fish almost exclusively for them at Pike Island. I have seen them pull in the parking lot, look at the water conditions, and leave because they knew they weren't in there. Most of what I know I have picked up from those guys and just being down there fishing. Sometimes the action last an hour and sometimes its all day. I personally think they are hard to pattern at times below dams because of the changing conditions. One change of the gates can turn them on or off in a matter of minutes.

Jake

4. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I've had a couple of expereinced wiper fishermen tell me that catching hybrids in summer water temps will kill them. I guess they fight so hard they die. Anyone else experience this problem?

I'm a C&R guy mostly and hestiate to really target them in the warmer water (not saying you shouldn't) if all of them I catch are going to die...I don't eat that much fish :)

CW

5. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

I've never heard of that before. They are ferocious fighters but fighting to the death I'm not so sure about. Its all about getting them back in the water healthy to fight another day if you ask me. I'm not a fan of any bass meat but love the good fight they put up. I C&R 100% all type's of bass and striper.

It's hard to beat the explosive bite of a wiper or striper.

6. i have seen alot of guys keep big hybrids and stripers and say thats why, they're just trying make an excuse to keep those fish. properly handled no fish around here has enough power to fight itself to , theres a few fish in saltwater but thats on a whole different level. as for catching hybrids in the summer it can be tough because they can move like crazy, we shocked below greenup the other day and only got two small ones, but 35miles downstream we saw busting fish all over just out over nothing, no creeks, points, depth anything, just bait thats all they were there for. but two days later those fish could be below the dam again i dont know. i like finding resident fish in smaller rivers, not the potential for numbers as much, but atleast you catch other stuff usually

7. I've had a couple of expereinced wiper fishermen tell me that catching hybrids in summer water temps will kill them. I guess they fight so hard they die. Anyone else experience this problem?

I have done alot of reading on these fish and that is what is said about them.I love to fish for them but won't in the hotter monthes!!!! If you are not going to eat them target something else please.

8. Hey Truck, good to hear from you. I have seen many hybrids and stripers floating dead below Meldahl in the summer. Doesn't seem to stop the regulars, but I wont do it unless it is catch and eat and I don't eat river fish.

9. Good to hear from u MM if more ppl new they were killing them I like to think they would not chase after them as much in the summer.Oh well i try to do my part;)

10. Striper Catch & Release Tactics can aid the survival of released striped bass with careful planning, fishing and handling methods. Hooked stripers can die from injury or from the stress of being hooked, fought and landed. Stress-related mortality increases greatly when water temperatures exceed 70F and is also greater in freshwater than in brackish water. Infection and disease can result in mortality of fish whose protective slime coat is removed during handling. The chances that released fish will survive will be increased greatly by following these guidelines. Ideally, fish are landed quickly, handled little, if at all, and kept in the water while the hook is removed using a de-hooker.

Notice!
    Striper Catch and release does not work as well as water temperatures increase.
    During warm water periods catch and release is not as recommended
    Dissolved Oxygen (DO) is found in microscopic bubbles of oxygen that
    are mixed in the water and occur between water molecules.

Dissolved Oxygen is a very important indicator of a water body's ability to support fish.

Fish "breathe" by absorbing dissolved oxygen through their gills.

Oxygen enters the water by absorption directly from the atmosphere or
    by aquatic plant and algae photosynthesis.

Algae and rooted aquatic plants deliver oxygen to water through photosynthesis.

Oxygen is removed from the water by respiration and decomposition of organic matter.

Temperature, pressure, and salinity affect the dissolved oxygen capacity of water.

After dissolving at the surface, oxygen is distributed by current and turbulence.

Also, water temperature is a key factor in the regulation of water's oxygen levels.

Warm water contains a less oxygen concentration than cold water

When dissolved oxygen levels in water drop below 5.0 mg/l, shad are under stress.
    The lower the concentration, the greater the stress.

Oxygen levels that remain below 1-2 mg/l for a few hours can result in large fish kills.
    http://www.arkansasstripers.com/release_techniques.htm

I agree, if you aren't eating them, best not to target them.
    I do eat river fish, and still take home a wiper or two when I've caught them this summer.

Best tasting fish around these parts, wiper/striper!
    LMJ

11. Thanks 4 the info Jeff;) hopefully some ppl will read it!!!!

12. You can lead a horse to water.........

There's A LOT OF INFORMATION on the internet, isn't there? ;)
    :confused:
    I think a "Duh" would be in order here.

What I "think" and what is truth or fact can be light years away from each other.

Helps to search a little and get some researched and proven info, not just "well, this is what I think so it must be true."

LMJ