Summer Sausage

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by auglaizewader, Dec 17, 2007.

1. I have some venison summer sausage in right now. i can't wait. I have an old recipe, but I wasn't all that crazy about. This year i am trying a Cabela's kit. I mixed in some jalapeno's too.

I am amazed at how easy it is to produce good-tasting meat products on your own. I am SO happy about buying that grinder:D Use it all the time.

2. try this one out,
    5lbs groundmeat
    2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 '' '' '' '' mustard seeds
    1 '''''''''''' ''''''''''''''' powder
    1 ''''''''''' garlic powder
    1 cup of water
    2 tablespoons of morton quik cure salt

mix all 2gather,divide in 3parts,roll in foil an boil 4 one hr,poke holes in bottom,let drain an cool,then refridge over night:D then enjoy
    mrtwister_jbo

ps if you like it hot crushed reds or cayanne

3. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

didn't know if it was a typo or not but after you roll it up in the foil do you BOIL it for an hour?

4. jeffmo

thanks for clearing that up for me.i'm gonna give it a go!

5. Wow that's new to me. i always put it in the oven on the lowest temp, until internal temp is 155.

I may have to try that one. I still have plenty of meat left. The neighbor and I have a deal. He shoots the deer, and i make the summer sausage. Good deal for both of us.

BTW Mine turned out really well. I used "Bloody Mary Pickles" along with the jalapenos. Next time I will squeeze out more of the juice, but the flavor is real good.

6. hERES A RECIPE THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME. IT'S GOOD,JUST WATCH HOW MUCH RED PEPPER YOU PUT IN IT. IT GETS HOTTER WHEN YOU COOK IT !;) Mike -VENISON SAUSAGE-
    -------------------
    2-3 LBS VENISON (GROUND)
    1 LB. PORK SAUSAGE(BOB EVANS ETC.)
    4 1/2 TBS CURING SALT (MORTONS AVAIL.AT MEIJERS)
    1/4 CUP MUSTARD SEED
    1/2 TSP GARLIC POWDER
    1 TSP COARSE BLACK PEPPER
    1 1/2 TSP ONION POWDER
    3 TSP LIQUID SMOKE

I ALSO ADD CRUSHED RED PEPPER TO TASTE (I LIKE IT HOT)

1- MIX INGREDIENTS IN BOWL,COVER AND REFRIGERATE FOR (24) HRS.

2- DIVIDE INTO (4) ROLLS AND WRAP EACH IN FOIL.

3- PUNCH HOLES IN BOTTOM OF FOIL FOR DRAINAGE.

4- PUT ON BROILING RACK AND (BAKE) AT 350 DEG. FOR 1 1/2 HOURS.

ALLOW TO COOL AND ENJOY! (OR FREEZE FOR LATER USE).

I have never had anyone taste this that did not love it. You can also make it into Jerky strips or link size,just reduce oven time.

7. jeffmo

okay,i made up a batch of this stuff and it is definately good!
    i used 10 lbs of ground deer burger,2 lbs of bob evans sage sausage and 1 lb of bob evans hot sausage,then multiplied all of the other ingredients appropriately.
    i did it in the oven but the next time i'm gonna have it stuffed into casings and do it in the smoker over some maple wood.
    thanks again for the recipe,i really appreciate it!!!!