Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just thought I would get a discussion going about different strategies for catching bass in the dead of summer. I know night fishing is probably the best way to go right now and my favorite for this time of year, but what does everyone do to get bites in the daytime?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like to use a green pumpkin Yum Dinger on a 4/0 hook. I'll cast to weed-lines and points and watch for the line to go tight then... BAM set the hook.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It depends on the lake and weather conditions, but I like buzzbaits and surface plugs on points and around cover (always looking for baitfish activity) and soft stickbaits around wood near deeper water. One of my best days with a buzzbait was on the Ohio River in the middle of a hot (90-plus) day in August; another time on Delaware in mid-summer I cleaned up wit a Chug Bug on a small flat around noon while pleasure boats were driving me nuts. I generally target active fish shallow unless I'm forced to Carolina rig or jig deep structure. I don't do much night fishing.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Soft plastics in deep water drop-offs and humps. Especially big worms.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have been doing OK with a Rapala DT-14 or DT-16. The water has to be slightly stained, doesn't work well in clear water lakes. Keep the boat in 17-18 fow and throw into 12-14 fow. The longer the bait is on the bottom the better. When the bait hits the bottom, just keep crankin', don't slow it down.

·
Bass & Catfish Charter Service
1,937 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I would get a discussion going about different strategies for catching bass in the dead of summer. I know night fishing is probably the best way to go right now and my favorite for this time of year, but what does everyone do to get bites in the daytime?
It looks like you've gotten some good advice so far. And I know you were looking for summertime stategies. But you've started a good discussion, and this is the type of thread that may improve the average angler. And I for one appreciate this type of conversation. I'll add some discussion regarding locating bass if you don't mind...

Summertime, in my opinion, is the easiest time of year to locate bass. (Notice I didn't say catch bass.) The easiest thing an angler can do is to change tactics. But most novice/beginner anglers won't do it. They'll just beat-up the same shallow banks that they caught fish out of back in the springtime and expect the same results. Just because an angler caught a mess of fish out of a shallow brush-pile in the springtime doesn't mean the fish will be there everytime they arrive at the lake.

An angler has to locate the bass before they can catch them, regardless of their strategy. To locate bass in the summertime, I would suggest changing tactics if you're not catchin' 'em and fish off-shore for at least a 1/2-hour per fishing trip. Find a deep point, or drop-off/bluff, or just set-up a drift out in the middle of nowhere and give it a try. My biggest three personal best bass were all caught in July and August by drifting out in the middle of a pretty deep weedbed. And remember, if you do hook-up with a bass off-shore, you can bet they'll be more bass in the area. Once you light up the school of summertime bass you may be in for the best fishing day of your life!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I am going to agree with J&Pguide on this one. Find some "deep" water pattern. now depth is relative, in alot of eastern ohio lakes that means 8-12ft, I dont like fishing 15ft personally. Though I may start the mornings shallow with a buzzbait fishing fast, I usually only fish shallow if its real windy, then I'll search windblow banks.
My favorite way to find deeper areas where fish are holding is deep rolling spinnerbaits, if the lake has harder substrate I'll crank it but its up to you. the big thing is finding edges. I like the deep edge of weedbeds of points, if you can find a weedbed that drops off into 10ft it should has fish. other key areas, the rock/gravel transition into sand/silt at the base of a point or steep bank, any windblown area with patchy cover, usually wood/weed patches.
I use the seaching bait to find fish on big long edges, than I use a smallish jig say 3/8's with a lively trailer to slow the drop to probe anything likely to hold fish, pockets, indevidual sticks or rocks in weedbeds ect. if I find an area with a good amount of fish I switch to a 6-7in trick worm on a 1/4 jighead.
I fish pretty light line for all this, 10lb with the searchers, 8 with the worm, 12 with the jig, helps with the sensitivity as well as the longer casts that you use in deeper water.
btw, this is the time of year to find lots of nice fish, though you wont see many 5's you can have killer days with lots of 2-4lb fish if you get on the pattern.
goodluck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts