close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Summer Bassin'

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by Bassman, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Bassman

Bassman KevinVanDamJr

Ok, Im knew to the summer bass fishing. In the summer i usually just kept fishing the bank, and well that doesnt always pay off, so i need to start fishing deeper, which i have done, but i havent had much luck. I dont know if im fishing the right depth or right lure ect... Could someone please help me with this?
    Thanks, Bassman

2. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

deep weedlines hold plenty of summer bass, try throwing cranks and tubes along the edges and in the morning and evening throw buzzers over the weedbeds.

3. Yep. Deep weed lines are where they hang out. Texas rigged plastic worms work well too. Pop-R's, buzz baits, twitching shad all are good topwater producers for those early morning and evening bass.[​IMG]

4. Bassman

Bassman KevinVanDamJr

I've been trying a carolina rig, but ive just been using a 1/2 ounce sinker, is that too small, or is it about the right size? I know water clarity will determine how deep bass are, but for most situations, would 1/2 cut it?

5. I Texas rig my worms on use a 1/16oz bullet weight. I prefer lighter presentations.

6. Bassman

Bassman KevinVanDamJr

I love 1/16oz in shallow water, but never tryed it in deeper water, ill have too give it a shot
    Thanks, Bassman

7. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I catch a lot of my summertime bass on rockpiles, docks, and shallow water
    cover. But I do fish deep weedlines a lot. I fish all the above with a tube or jig. sometimes a spinnerbait or crank.

Good Luck

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I am with flipp, although deep weedlines can be good, this year I have tried shallow, meaning 2ft or less and have done exceptional. it seemed like the fish were on thick isolated cover. trees with thick branches hanging in the water and laydowns with many smaller branches provided the biggest fish. although, not every lake is the same.

9. Bassman

Bassman KevinVanDamJr

What about lakes that dont have alot of deep weed lines, if any? I dont think many of the lakes around southwest Ohio have deep weed lines.

10. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Then you try and find some rock piles or Look for some docks. I don't know what presentations you like but I live and die by the flippin bite but I can also get them on the rocks and points. I try to find a couple different patterns when I am practicing for a tourney in case one bite goes bad I go to the other. ANother thing I like to fish are stump feilds with a buzzbait or spinner bait and a tube. A big spinnerbait slow rolled in the weeds work good to. Another thing I am starting to figure out is the drop shot.

Good Luck

11. Procraftboats21

I'm also workin on the drop shot corey, caught one on it a mosquito infront of the opening on the causeway, 1/0 lightwire hook with a 5'' finesse worm 18 inches up from the weight, it was just a 13'' bass but it gave me some confidence.

12. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I got one smallie on the drop shot sunday missed another. 2inch tube. I've tried fish it in the spring sight fishing. Didn't get anything but I will have it down by next spring.

13. Procraftboats21

I think it would work for nesting bass, put a lizard up from the weight about 3-4'' so you could keep the lizard in its face at all times untill he got aggravated enough to grab it.

14. Bassman

Bassman KevinVanDamJr

Do any of you try a split shot rig, I think that would be perfect for sight fishing.

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Austin, how heavy of a weight would you use and how small of a lizard would you use? it seems like the lizard would have to be small enough for the drop shot hook, unless you used a regular hook. and the weight would have to be heavy enough to keep the bait simi vertical with out pulling it forward. Drop shotting works well for walleye too with a crawler or leetch.

16. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I use a white tube when I am sight fishing on the drop shot usually I use a floating worm. I like split sot rigs to when the bite gets tough I go to that. I use a 3/16oz drop shot weight I like that size. I used a drop shot for bluegill and crappies I like that set up with a wax worm or maggot.

Good Luck

17. Procraftboats21

Johnboy, I was thinkin about using a 4'' floating lizard with a 2/0 lightwire hook and a 1/8-1/4oz weight

18. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Still can't beat flippin a tube into any type of cover. HANG ON!!!

19. Procraftboats21

you've got that right corey

20. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

man, you flippers get way too close. nothing beats skippin a tube or senko in to heavy cover! But hey, i am a spinning reel type guy. Austin, would you texas rig that lizard or hook it through the nose? the only problem i could see arising from the floating lizard would be an unatural action by it being either too bouyant or sinking too much. Is there some way too maybe make it neutral?