Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Im 14 going to my cousins pond for a few days, We don't usually catch bass out of that pond but its because im not using the right color or size lure I know it. the banks are DENSLY covered in lillypads for about 25 yards to the open deep middle. I don't know how to fish this we cant go really early so I figured a frog wouldn't work I just filled up a new tackle box with some buzzes and spinners any suggestions to catch bass in this? it gets really hot so I planned to go in the evening. what should I use.. I haven't caught a decent sized bass in some time and im getting hungry. We do have a little boat

·
lovin erie
444 Posts
take out the boat.......use 2-3" grubs in various colors and fish the pads sideways.....don't forget earthworms too....pond bass like to chase stuff...try colors that look like bluegill's color.....I also use white grubs too....good luck.....also, don't take for granted a light outfit for big gills too....they fight great on it and also taste good too....

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
For bass in a pond you want to use as small of lures as you can. In lily pads you are going to want to use the buzz baits to keep it on the surface and not hang up. Concentrate on small openings or lanes, it's a little tougher from shore, and try to keep the bass up when they hit or they will wrap you around the pads. I would suggest strike king mini buzz and mini spinners. I use those all the time even in lake fishing, smaller gets more strikes and it's easier to keep on top of the water. If cover is real thick or you are having trouble keeping it on top of the water use a 3 blade buzz. Your other option for lily pads would be a mini jig also by strike king with a small trailer of matching color. Browns are usually best. When I say mini I am talking 1/8 or 1/16 ounce. The buzz baits will be 1/8, a little extra weight to help cast. Let me know how you do. Don't be afraid to use the frogs too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For bass in a pond you want to use as small of lures as you can. In lily pads you are going to want to use the buzz baits to keep it on the surface and not hang up. Concentrate on small openings or lanes, it's a little tougher from shore, and try to keep the bass up when they hit or they will wrap you around the pads. I would suggest strike king mini buzz and mini spinners. I use those all the time even in lake fishing, smaller gets more strikes and it's easier to keep on top of the water. If cover is real thick or you are having trouble keeping it on top of the water use a 3 blade buzz. Your other option for lily pads would be a mini jig also by strike king with a small trailer of matching color. Browns are usually best. When I say mini I am talking 1/8 or 1/16 ounce. The buzz baits will be 1/8, a little extra weight to help cast. Let me know how you do. Don't be afraid to use the frogs too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I'm deffinitly going to try the frog a lot. the lilly pads are really thick as in putting anything on top of them you can get t under water might as well be ground there. Any idea on what to run up and down the lilly pads like on the edge of them? there is a drop right where the lilly pads end. there is a nice bass in there 7-8lbs at least, My uncle caught it on a frog so I know they are there but I didn't get them to bite anything last time I went.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.