Suggestions????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by carxman17, Dec 20, 2007.

1. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

Ok, As I have written before I am a rokkie to deer hunting so bear with me. My father inlaw has 10 acres in blanchester. most of it is horse & cow pasture. There is about an acre & a half in the far back corner that has a small pond on it and is fenced away from the cows & horses. It is all grown up & I can see lots of sign (tracks and bedding spots). There is a group of trees in the ft corner so I put my ladder stand in a tree there. Any suggestions about when would be better, morn. or evenings??? Also I set up a food block about 15 yards from my stand & threw out some deer mix. Hope I can get my first one. I had no luck during last gun weekend. Thanks for any suggestions!!!!!!!

2. As far as morning versus evening it is hard to determine without seeing it but one thing to consider is whether you are seeing many beds in the immediate area. If you are it may very well be a daytime bedding area which can make it quite difficult at times to enter undetected. These types of areas are more suited to evening hunts.

There has probably been plenty of hunting pressure in the area lately which has raised the awareness of the deer. They will still move but they may be a bit more cautious and attentive to human scent. Because of this pay great attention to wind direction (really you should always) and only hunt the stand when it is right.

The deer are moving and they can still be taken with the bow. My boy was home today for Christmas break and he went back in the field and sat to scout (not hunting). He saw a nice 8 pointer go right under his stand that would have given him a great shot. Now he wants to go out Saturday.:D:D

3. I'm just the opposite, if you see lots of beds and think it's a daytime bedding area. I would be in there well before daylight.
    I do agree the deer will be spooky and would definitley watch the wind.
    Over the years I've seen pressured deer vacate the larger woodlots in favor of these small parcels.
    Either way you go, good luck.
    Hang in there you'll get one.

4. I did say that backward now that I read it.:rolleyes: You are right. I meant to say they are suited to morning hunts.

5. carxman17

Thanks for the replys guys. I plan on going mon. morning I will get int my stand about 6:30 am. there is a nice section fo woods just outside of the property that I think they are comming from. Anyway talked to my father inlaw last night. He said he saw a couple of deer out there eating the corn I put out yesterday morning. so looks like I might get lucky....:)

6. Prime bedding area and late season "hang-out", IMHO. Being old-school, i would probably spend a good amount of time with binoculars studying this area from a distance and actually enter it only when I felt conditions were "right". A more effective option woud be to beg, borrow or buy a trail camera that could evaluate your set-up site and give a wealth of information. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

7. carxman17

I wish I had time for all that. I am lucky to have time to hunt at all. So I guess I'll just take my chances getting in real early and making sure the wind is right. Looks loke I'll probably get out monday morn. & wed. morn.

8. Good luck, be patient and have fun. The first deer is aways the hardest.

9. I have a similar situation at my grandmother's property. Its a reel small overgrown cow pasture. Has some pines, thickets, creek and an overgrown field on the one side bordered by RR tracks, the road and two open clover fields. Those places are so hard to get into and stand hunt. We leave it alone all year and then during gun season put on some small drives. Have had great success, every year someone shoots a deer there. Takes no more than 20 minutes to push this spot and me and my dad each shot does this year on one drive. Can't beat those small spots sometimes.

10. carxman17

yea I have tried hunting my buddies property in adams county 25 acres all woods. Have had no luck. Only seen one deer in the three times I have been out. I figure this is not as much of a challange to bait them. but I figure for my first one. and with a bow it cant be that wrong.... I would love to have the time & money to hunt larger more rural places but for now this will have to do.