Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any suggestions on a float trip for a weekend in Ohio, or close by in PA, or WV. Preferably a scenic river or stretch of river that isn't to crowded with other boaters. Ideally would like to be able to camp on banks along the way. I've done parts of the Tuscarawas here in NE Ohio, but haven't done an overnighter on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Spend your life Surrounded by liars in chestwaders
175 Posts
Looking for any suggestions on a float trip for a weekend in Ohio, or close by in PA, or WV. Preferably a scenic river or stretch of river that isn't to crowded with other boaters. Ideally would like to be able to camp on banks along the way. I've done parts of the Tuscarawas here in NE Ohio, but haven't done an overnighter on it. Thanks in advance.
Cheat river WVa St.George to Rowelsburg, Greenbriar river WVA , you’d have to watch the water levels( USGS) to make sure you had enough water , both are great rivers to fish , both scenic,both have lots of islands to camp on

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheat river WVa St.George to Rowelsburg, Greenbriar river WVA , you’d have to watch the water levels( USGS) to make sure you had enough water , both are great rivers to fish , both scenic,both have lots of islands to camp on
Thanks, is there a particular stretch or location you have launched out of?

·
175 Posts
Yes , google “cheat water trail. org” I usually stay at BOA, Blackwater outdoor adventures they have a nice campground you can set out from there towards Rowlsburg and make arrangements for a shuttle from them. I usually have them shuttle me up river to Holly Meadows bridge 8.5 miles,or Parsons 11 miles and then just float back to camp ,cheat water trail maps will really help with visual Greenbrier River look up WVDNR go to float trips lots of info there , Let me know if you go ,I usually go several times a month now that it’s warm , going again this weekend, take “flukes” if you go , rig weightless,weedless

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes , google “cheat water trail. org” I usually stay at BOA, Blackwater outdoor adventures they have a nice campground you can set out from there towards Rowlsburg and make arrangements for a shuttle from them. I usually have them shuttle me up river to Holly Meadows bridge 8.5 miles,or Parsons 11 miles and then just float back to camp ,cheat water trail maps will really help with visual Greenbrier River look up WVDNR go to float trips lots of info there , Let me know if you go ,I usually go several times a month now that it’s warm , going again this weekend, take “flukes” if you go , rig weightless,weedless
Thanks. I was gonna go with my buddy and we aren't planning on going until end of June. I'd like to pick and ending point and camp somewhere different along the way Friday and Saturday night. Getting back to the launch though would be an issue, so yes maybe going through an outfitter might help things go more slowly. Otherwise, we have to bring two vehicles. I'll let you know when we go. Is that your craft in your avatar you take? We were going to take a 15ft square stern canoe with maybe a small outboard. Would we encounter much whitewater?

·
175 Posts
Thanks. I was gonna go with my buddy and we aren't planning on going until end of June. I'd like to pick and ending point and camp somewhere different along the way Friday and Saturday night. Getting back to the launch though would be an issue, so yes maybe going through an outfitter might help things go more slowly. Otherwise, we have to bring two vehicles. I'll let you know when we go. Is that your craft in your avatar you take? We were going to take a 15ft square stern canoe with maybe a small outboard. Would we encounter much whitewater?
Yes one of my boats is my avatar you would be fine in a canoe

·
175 Posts
Yes one of my boats is my avatar you would be fine in a canoe
My son and I are going to take that same trip at Father’s Day weekend but probably take out at route 50 a couple miles before Rowelsburg

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
I've spent plenty of time on the Cheat, the Greenbriar, and many other flows in WV, VA, PA, etc...Given that you'll be floating in a canoe with an outboard, maybe the Allegheny River in PA would be a better choice than the Cheat.
The Allegheny, around Oil City area, has a bit less gradient and might be better suited for a square back canoe with a motor. But don't get me wrong, the river has a TON of character in that area. Big, house-sized boulders, lots of riffle/pool mix, sharp bends, etc.. And GREAT fishing in that area. Tons of smallies, plenty of musky, and good share of walleye also if you're into a nice shore lunch.

Just another option out there to consider.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Bubbagon.....what do you think of the Greenbriar for smallies? I have just been looking into that river and found an outfitter to shuttle us. Says its in Alderson WV.

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
The Greenbriar is GORGEOUS and has plenty of smallies. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I have very fond memories of it.
If you have the chance to go....go. I can put you in touch with a few buddies who live and fish that area quite a bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've spent plenty of time on the Cheat, the Greenbriar, and many other flows in WV, VA, PA, etc...Given that you'll be floating in a canoe with an outboard, maybe the Allegheny River in PA would be a better choice than the Cheat.
The Allegheny, around Oil City area, has a bit less gradient and might be better suited for a square back canoe with a motor. But don't get me wrong, the river has a TON of character in that area. Big, house-sized boulders, lots of riffle/pool mix, sharp bends, etc.. And GREAT fishing in that area. Tons of smallies, plenty of musky, and good share of walleye also if you're into a nice shore lunch.

Just another option out there to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion. That may be more up our alley. Think we could camp on the banks along that stretch?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts