close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suggestions on new 9.9

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by walleye warrior, Jul 14, 2005.

1. walleye warrior

walleye warrior Clearfork Muskie Addict

Well, I finally have decided to bite the bullett and purchase a brand new 9.9 four stroke. I am so tired of messing with my old one I cant tell you. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts one what to get. I am kinda partial to yamaha, but they are like $500 more than most of the other ones. Honda is another but I hear they can be hard to find parts for. I am up for any ideas you guys may have. Let me know where you guys stand. Thanks.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'll say this about the yamaha's. They are good dependable motors period. The outfitters in Canada have switched over to almost all yamaha's The other one I know is very good is the Merc. 9.9 I've used both. Talk to the merc, dealer, johnson dealer then the yamaha dealer. I'd bet they will match your price or real close if you buy the yamaha

3. walleye warrior

The only yamaha dealer I know of around me is Alum Creek RV and Marine. I was in there today and no one seemed to want to be bothered by me. Kind of upset me but a good motor is a good motor I guess. For some reason I got the feeling that they probably won't lower the price any. But its worth a shot. Does anyone run a small Nissan outboard. I am kinda curious about them, also does anyone know any dealers. Thanks again.

4. Hard to beat a Merc for dependability and parts availability. If you'll be using it as a kicker to your main motor be sure to check your turning clearances. I had to settle for a 2-stroke because of the huge cowl on the 4-stroke.

5. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

merc also has the new 9.9 pro kicker out made for trolling. it has a lower gear ratio to slow things down. only downside would be loosing your top end speed due to the lower gear ration.

sowbelly

6. Im going to have to agree with sowbelly, merc service it top notch! I would love to p urchase a new merc 4stroke, but im stuck with my 79 mercy 9.8 until i graduate from college and get a good job!
    J

7. ****note to self****
    don't buy a 9.9 motor from Walleye Warrior when it hits the buy/sell/swap.... :p

I'd have to say that the Mercs would be a little easier to find parts for, but when I save up a little more for the down payment on the bass boat, I'm 99% sure that i'll have the yamaha hanging on the back. I'd say that the dealer will make most of the difference. Find one you are comfortable with that will stand behind the motor.

Kevin

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I was told by a local marina that one of the reasons that Yamaha motors cost a bit more is because they were lying about the number of motors that were sent to the USA. They got caught sending a lot more than they were allowed, got busted, and now have to pay a larger import tax on each motor.

That's what I heard, if it's not true, don't shoot the messenger.

I've been a Merc fan for a while. You can't beat 'em.

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

get a johnson, no problems yet and we've used it a bunch for two years.

10. walleye warrior

Ended up going with the merc. had a very hard time finding a short shaft, electric start, four stroke. I bet I called over thirty places before I finally found it. I have had it out twice and it is amazing how quiet and how slow it can troll. So far very happy. Thanks for all the input guys.

Hoss if ya need a 9.8 I know where you can get one at a price!!! :D :D

11. Great choice!! Have fun breaking that baby in!