Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a half-week long trip to the Salmon River in NY. (Pulaski)

Caught about 60-70 Browns and Smallies. One 20+ inch smallie hit a 8-9" sucker I caught. An immediate cast back brought him in. Nice fish, nice trip all-around.

However... now I have the bug for some salmon. All the bait shops were talking about the salmon runs. What is the best driving distance salmon run for someone in NE Ohio? Is it the Salmon River? Manistee? Anyone know if there are any decent salmon runs in Western NY or around the Niagara area in Canada?

·
Registered
455 Posts
The Niagara River has a great Salmon run that starts usually in September. Kings, Cohos, Steelhead, and Browns run up the river. There are some huge fish in there! I hope to catch some myself in September/October.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
We used to go the SR for salmon but we found a river 2.5 hrs closer to Columbus and less crowded. Try the Oak Orchard. It's between Buffalo and Rochester. Lots of Kings! The SR seems to produce the biggest fish. Personal best 31lbs!(see picture to the left) The Oak has better quality and less crowds if you wade down from the dam and fish the pools. Anymore information ...let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts