close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suggestions for GPS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Moss, Oct 6, 2004.

1. I am wanting to get a hand held gps for my birthday. I am looking for one that is moderately priced. Does anyone have a suggestion.
    Thanks in advance.

2. I have had excellent luck with Garmin. They really stand behind their guarantee on all their products and the service is very fast should you have a problem. The E Trex series is reasonable and does everything I need a GPS for.

3. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i have a garmin 12 model and love it.i don't think that model is made anymore but i'd say that the new models are probably just as easy to use if not easier.
    i've used mine mostly when i go go michigan mushroom hunting.i haven't needed it yet as far as getting lost but it's nice to have that insurance with you.it's good to mark new patches with too.
    always make sure you have some spare batteries with you as a back up and nothing really replaces a compass in case the gps would fail but i've never encountered that yet(crossed fingers! :D ).
    their different uses are great!when i put larger tires on my jeep i used it to see if my speedometer reading had changed any.i have marked the pins on my property with it and they're great for fishing spots too.
    well worth the money!

4. Thanks Shortdrift and Jeffmo. I'll turn 67 yrs old this month and sometimes I get lost in the back yard. LOL. Really though, I need one when hunting in WVa or on a big lake like Cumberland. Thanks again for the info.

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

You really can't go wrong with Garmin. I bought a used GPSMap 276 from ebay for $270, and that even included a bonus map CD.

of course, when I bought the Erie cartridge for it, that was another $150...

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Ive got a Garmin 12 also, and absolutely love it. Those or e-trex should be below $150, and well well worth it!

I use mine on lakes I've never fished to find my way back to the ramp, and to accurately display trolling speeds. Couldn't see fishing without one!

7. JBJ

JBJ

We sell more Garmin than Magellan at the store. Go to garmin.com to check out their products.

We have reduced pricing on the eTrex series since the 60c came out. It's possible that stores in your area may be doing the same thing. And remember that Galyans still has the 110% guarantee.

8. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I have the Garmin 12 also, love it. Built like a brick. My brother has a newer Garmin mapping gps, very good for driving and boating but a little too big for carrying in your pocket.

9. Tee

Tee Team OGF

If you are not looking to spend much then I'd go with what Shortcake suggested. The Garmin e-trex. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76S and I love it. The price is $400 at Bass Pro Shops. I found a new one on E-bay for $280. I have seen the E-Trex advertised at BPS for $169 before. Its very usful on Erie or on big open water lakes. I have also bought the map CD's- the Topo Map and the Fishing Hotspots for Ohio and Indiana. The E-trex has 8M of storage for downloading maps. My GPSMAP 76S has 24M for storage. I have yet to use all the memory.

10. Thanks guys'. I have told my my wife that I would like to have the e-trex for my birthday. If she don't get it for me, I'll just have to go to the store myself. Thanks again for the info.

11. I did read an article in In-Fisherman a few years back comparing GPS units. To make a long story short, they suggested the Lowrance I-Finder for price, features, etc. I bought one not too long thereafter with the MapCreate software. That thing has more than paid for itself many times with being broken down in VA on our way to bike week. Told us exactly where all auto parts stores as well as service centers were in the area. I can say that I have been lost down around Atwood after making a wrong turn while towing and it really, really saved me. Bought the I-Finder Pro in order to be able to use HotMaps earlier this year and it's even better, and faster. Now, I keep the I-Finder Pro on the boat and the I-Finder in the car for driving. Couldn't be happier with my choice but I would imagine they all are worth their weight in gold at some point or another. :)