Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a person or outlet for selling antique fishing rods? Trying to help a family friend with getting a fair price for some fishing rods in excellent shape that must be from the 40's or 50's. There are some bamboo, also some Browning, Herters, and others. These rods have been kept in aluminum or other hard cases for over 50 years, and now looking to sell them for a fair price.

Anyone know of a shop which is looking to purchase such an item?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Let me know when you find one. I have a Heddon Black Beauty bamboo fly rod I have been trying
to find a place to sell. A couple years ago I had a couple Hardy fly reels from pre War, NIBs.
A fly shop in Mass ended up giving me highest offer but I guess American bamboo rods are below
the Fly snobs wants.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Can anyone recommend a person or outlet for selling antique fishing rods? Trying to help a family friend with getting a fair price for some fishing rods in excellent shape that must be from the 40's or 50's. There are some bamboo, also some Browning, Herters, and others. These rods have been kept in aluminum or other hard cases for over 50 years, and now looking to sell them for a fair price.

Anyone know of a shop which is looking to purchase such an item?
Obsessed, I tried to send you a Private Message, but for some unknown reason I could not. I may be interested in rods, I am in Warren. John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Interesting as I have a very old Tonkin Bamboo fly rod that I was thinking of selling. ( that's what I was told it is).

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I was working construction around Cleveland back in 80s, stayed in Brecksville at Valley Forge
Motel. We were working over towards Revenna and on the way back to motel crew stopped
at a little shopping center to get a drink. Across the highway was a English style house with
a simple fish shaped sign "Trout Shop". I went over there and the rods they had were $500 up.
They had cases with flies and bugs that you pushed a button and they advanced the rows of flies.
There were some yuppie loafers hanging around BSing at sales desk. I was looking at the Flies
when I became aware of snickering that I was the object of. I was in work clothes and must have
not looked to affluent. Anyway salesman in sport coat makes his way up to me and ask me if I
needed any help. I said yes sir, could you tell me were you keep your fishin' sinkers. He about
passed out and I went back across the road and had a cold one.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,526 Posts
There are old fly rods and then there are old fly rods. It depends on the brand and the model. Leonards are highly prized. Some Heddons are as well, but again, depends on the model. You do need a good appraiser.

Besides, a lot of old bamboo rods need to be taken apart, reassembled, and refinished. That job might cost more than what the rod did whatever its initial cost. Play a good fish on an old, unrefurbished, fly rod and you could destroy it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts