Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the suckers and big chubs active yet?

I'm thinking of changing pace on Saturday morning and grabbing an ultra light or two and some redworms and hitting the creeks/rivers for suckers and big chubs. Has anyone been out for them or are they even active yet?

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
was out last weekend to see if I could grab a few dozen and no luck at all...it were as if the holes that I usually hit were all washed out over the winter...like there was never even any chubs there at all, so i dont really know

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Haven't fished for them since April, but the sucker "run" occurred late March early April when we had the nice weather period before it turned cold again. I caught several nice ones up to a pound (and froze some) in a stream that runs through Columbus I discovered while attending OSU years back.

If you find a good creek chub or sucker spot - NEVER reveal it! It only takes one greedy bait catcher to ruin your spot. When I get "caught" sucker fishing I insist I am fishing for carp:)

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you find a good creek chub or sucker spot - NEVER reveal it! It only takes one greedy bait catcher to ruin your spot. When I get "caught" sucker fishing I insist I am fishing for carp:)
You know, as obvious as that is, I've never really thought about it. I had this spot on a small creek in my area that I could always go get nice chubs and some suckers, but the last year or two it's been dead. Durr...... Now it makes sense.

I guess I never really thought about it, but there are people that prob enjoy catching suckers and chubs as much as I enjoy cattin. I've never really thought about that before. :eek:

·
Registered
675 Posts
chubs are DEFINATELY active!!!!!!! Holes change every year... ya gotta stay on top of it..

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
chubs are DEFINATELY active!!!!!!! Holes change every year... ya gotta stay on top of it..
chubs can be caught year round. i used to go and catch them with wax worms with the creek half ice'd over during the winter, used them for burbot's. if i have time and can wake up early enough i'll take ya to that creek we talked about a while back with the 12+ inchers:)

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i have time and can wake up early enough i'll take ya to that creek we talked about
Dude, I know where you live. I'll show up with free breakfast from Hardees. That should get you up for sure! If not, there's always that old police alarm you have on your ride! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
I went to a local creek for chubs for the past two weeks. My wife and I managed over 40 chubs. Most of them in the 4-6in range but we did manage some tiny ones. I caught more than a few 8in ones. Not sure about this creek but it only holds chubs and minnows. Used to fish it when I was a kid. All caught with an UL and nightcrawlers. They are all currently in my pond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts