Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,144 Posts
Well done!! Tough river to (catch) fish...

Reactions: Gus Martin

·
swamp crawler
2,178 Posts
Great job guys.

I have a dumb question, but I'm looking for a serious answer. I'm not a trout fisherman so please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not far from the mad. I see people talk about fishing for Browns in the mad all the time and I never see anything any bigger than the one on the cover of your video.

My questions are, do they get any bigger in the mad and do they stay there or migrate like steelhead?

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,144 Posts
Great job guys.

I have a dumb question, but I'm looking for a serious answer. I'm not a trout fisherman so please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not far from the mad. I see people talk about fishing for Browns in the mad all the time and I never see anything any bigger than the one on the cover of your video.

My questions are, do they get any bigger in the mad and do they stay there or migrate like steelhead?
They get bigger; fish the headwaters. There's no place for them to migrate, actually. They're stuck in the Upper Mad because of water temps.

Reactions: Gus Martin

·
Tackleboys
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great job guys.

Hey beaver! Not a dumb question at all. They definitely get bigger than the ones from this video. Actually, we (sadly) stumbled across a dead one lying at the bottom of the stream. It was probably 18+ inches. Like Deazl666 said, they don't migrate like steelhead and the river stays cool enough (unlike most Ohio streams) to let them live year-round.

Well done!! Tough river to (catch) fish...
Thank you! It was a great time. Victory always tastes sweet after you get skunked (we made a video for the previous week and struck out).

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
enjoying your videos. My question is, how do you get your videos to post. I get pics posted real easy, but video it wont let me.

·
Crappies, heat up the fryer please!
257 Posts
Great job guys.

Awesome question! I lived a 1/4 mile from the Mad River years back and fished it frequent. The key to big browns is fish at night and use live bait hooking crawlers once on the band throw upstream and let drift down into deeper pools. Use the lightest split shot the current dictates just ticking the bottom. The large browns are very smart and see heavy recreation activity all day long on the river and are easily spooked and aware of your presence. They have adjusted to feeding at night with little disturbance on the river. I have also caught some of my biggest browns when the water is a little stained, not crystal clear conditions. Living so close to the river I was able to talk to the DNR officers often, everytime I would see them shocking deep pools on the river. They explained to me that the large females only had a couple hundred yard range on the river system for each individual fish. One time I seen a 8 1/2 pounder shocked in deep pool that they said they have shocked her in the same pool for the last 3 years. The smallest of deep undercut banks hold alot of big girls on the river system, darting out to ambush a passing meal. I always waded with a buddy and never went alone for obvious safety reasons and concerns. Used my hunting headgear lights with green filter lens to able myself to see targets and breaks. Had Streamlight white flashlight in bag to cover other lighting needs when needed. Try to use white light with minimum and not in area you are targeting fish. Before all of you die hard fly fisherman blast me for giving this info, remember we all have our passions and ways to enjoy the great outdoors. Good luck to all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts