Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about some things when it comes to fishing across multiple lakes and was looking for some input if anyone has some thoughts and/or ideas. A couple of things to keep in mind: Bass fishing is my focus and I consider Alum Creek Reservior to be my "home lake". I fish there frequently and I tend to think I do pretty well and seem to know where to find the fish. With that being said, I have started venturing out more consistently to other lakes near Central Ohio. My success has not been as good as I would like it to be in relation to Alum Creek. I feel like things could be more complicated if I were venturing to different parts of the country, but that's not the case. The other places I'm fishing I feel like are similar in many ways to Alum. For example: Ceasar Creek, Hoover, Burr Oak, Deer Creek, Buck Creek, Salt Fork to name a few. One that is a little out there and not similar is Lake Logan because of how shallow and the amount of vegetation it has.

What I am wondering is what are the things that I should keep in mind or consider when going to these different lakes in relation to what I know about Alum Creek. Because in the grand scheme of things they are relatively close to each other so the differences are, in my opinion, not as noticeable in terms of success. What are some things I should carry with me in my mindset from Alum and/or what should I consider focusing on at these other places to get similar results. Some things I'm thinking about is the type of bass prey in the lake or bait fish (the match the hatch philosophy), the vegetation, the bass being the apex predator of the lake (At Alum Creek this isn't the case as the Musky is), structure, points/inlets/coves, etc. Or....am I completely wrong in my thoughts and should be fishing them just as I do Alum Creek. Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would focus more on habitat and bottom composition. But it also depends on the availability of food. At hoover for example, once the shad hatch it can be difficult to find a fish with an empty stomach because the shad become so numerous. Fishing in any reservoir with a large shad population will be tough sledding.

I would say that what the apex predators have little to do with bass behavior. Bass are rarely apex predators in large reservoirs. Alum and caesars creek are stocked with muskie and the others you mentioned have either flatheads and blue catfish. All three species will eat anything that they can swallow including bass. The key is finding soft bottom with weeds for largemouth. Then rip rap and rocky points for smallmouth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts