Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Workin' is for Suckers
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was walking the Huron River and found a 5ft and about 60lbs or more Sturgeon...was barely breathing. Wondered if it was spawning there or what. Felt like leather to the touch.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hey, Bassmanmark. Did you give the DNR boys a call? They may be interested in what you found.

I was fishing the Sandusky river north of Fremont, pitching spinner baits and Bomber Fat A"s under the docks and pontoons.

Hooked into a big fish that stripped off about half of my 12 pound test line. Fun Stuff

Turned out I was tail snagged into a little (ugly little fellow) 3 f.t. Sturgeon. First one I have ever seen, touched or caught. Hooked (snagged) on a Fat A in three feet of water.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
hey mark, never seen one in the river but back in the day i used to see or here of people catching one on minnows perch fishing in the spring out in the big pond. one guy (dumb ass) actually threw it in his cooler and brought it in dead to the bait shop to ask what it was.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wow.. that is really good news to hear that they are around here still... somewhere.. ive never seen one in real life.. i would love to see one let alone catch one.. one time i was walking in a private owned portion of a creek with a drag net with a friend and found a young dead pike about 2 feet long... it was pretty amazing just to see it.
JORDAN:G

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great to hear. I really would love to see them make a good comeback. Hope to see one sometime in the wild. Seen them in aquariums at zoos thats it.

·
Workin' is for Suckers
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called ODNR today and they basically said huh...thanks. And also that it wouldn't be up there to spawn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts