close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stumped

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by MadRad, Jun 7, 2007.

1. MadRad

MadRad Seasoned Member

Some days/weekends are just not meant to be. I hit Twin Creek last Sat since it was so beautiful. The water was nice for wading and the air was rather still. In three hours I saw a lot of various sized minnows, tad poles, crawdads, suckers, and carp. But I didn't see a single smallie. I flung all the favorites in the arsenal to no avail.

So on Sunday morning I wandered over to the LMR and my favorite hole. Let me see, we have had no rain for two weeks and the river is blowing water. The level is up at least a foot and I can't wade across the river safely. This sounds like an Army Corp adventure. I did manage a fisty 1 1/4 pounder in a back water eddy before I left in disgust.

So when I got home I checked the USGS web site. They decided to let down CC for about twelve hours with a 2 1/2' gauge height rise at Wellman. Some days were not meant to be.

The good note is that I fell in love with my 4 wt rod again. It's like coming home to an old friend!

Rick

2. MadRad

MadRad Seasoned Member

Hit the LMR on Sat. morning for another beautiful day. Not like the last time, I didn't see the four point buck in velvet but it was a lovely morning all the same.

The water level was normal and the clarity was at about 3'. I wasn't cold wading in my tennis shoes and shorts. But I think the water was too normal and clear.

I tried four colors of wooly buggers, a muddler minnow, a clouser in white/olive and still didn't see a single flash. Maybe I'm not fishing the witching hour since I'm out there in the morning. Any thoughts on how the fish are patterning right now?

Rick

3. lately on the lmr the fish have been funny, you see tons of rough fish (they are fun on the fly though) but almost no gamefish, we have been catching some saugers, and very nice ones to boot but they are to deep for flies. i'd try the morning with big topwaters or streamers, or after dark, maybe not smallies but you will catch predators...had a nice ski follow last week and my friend said he had a one about 16-18in nipping at the tail of his bait last night, that would be one heck of a catch on the fly!

4. Maybe you didn't but don't let the other fish, even big carp, scare you from fishing a spot. I caught one of my best smallmouth in the LMR and it came from a small pool right under the bellies of two huge carp that were hanging at the mouth of the pool. I was actually casting for them, just to see if they'd respond...

5. Mojo is right...I have caught many fish while casting for carp...it seems that the carp do all of the work, i.e stirring up nymphs, crayfish, etc., and it's an easy way for bluegills, rock bass, and even smallmouths to pick up some easy pickin's.

As to getting fish to cooperate, sometimes it has to do more with the depth and speed of the retrieve, other times the size or color of the lure or fly. Other times, it has more to do with the time of day. I have learned to keep at it and let the fish tell me what they want.

The hard part is when you have fished for three hours and have had little to no action, and as it gets late in the evening, the fish become active. Was it because you suddenly switched flies, or the depth, or changed speed, or was it the time of day?
    z