Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oct 18th. I got to the ramp at 08:15, threw the casting net several times, but no bait fish. Up river wind was blowing so cruised around trying to figure where to start fishing. I decided to run up river to the deep hole. I dropped both anchors but the boat got turned around by the wind and NO current.

I gave up and after a long slow ride I went to the mouth of the Licking River to get out of the wind. I did mark fish but not bites. I tried going deeper up the river and found a quite spot, no current here either. I marked lots of suspended fish, once again no action.

Made a long boat ride back to my favorite spot, but the wind was getting stronger with white caps all the time now, so I called it a day. I burned up a lot of gas running all over, but the wind was the winner. I got to the ramp and headed home at 11:30. At least I got some fresh air and exercise this morning.

Author of Kindle e-book "ROD BENDING CATFISH"

http://cincinnaticatfishing.com

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
sounds like quite a few of my reports over the years...hang in there, the wind was definitely howling today, at least you gave it a try.. beats me at work looking outside all day.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Heading out on Wednesday morning to do some casting, looking for large/small/white bass or whatever jumps on our hooks. Putting in at Schmidt, plan on hitting a couple of spots downtown and then heading back up to the Little Miami and then hitting whatever looks good back down to Schmidt.

We run this route often in the fall, but it is very hit/miss. Have been fishing the Craig's Creek area around Warsaw, Ky., just above Markland Dam with mixed results. Just looking for a change of scenery. Next week will probably put in at Augusta and fish the White Oak creek area.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You might check out the Licking. I marked a lot of suspend fish up about 8th st. Not sure if they we white bass or strippers,but they were in the SHAD schools. Good luck.
Thanks Norb! Unfortunately I didn't see your post until after returning home from a discouraging outing this morning. It is really a shame that we here in the Greater Cincinnati area don't have a decent place to go and have a reasonable expectation of catching some fish. I am spoiled from fishing extensively in Tennessee and Canada each year, but it really sucks that we do not have a reasonable fishing condition in the vicinity. Sorry, but the Ohio River around Cincinnati sucks!

Four accomplished bass fishermen on the water at first light. Started around the Big Mac bridge, nothing there, then worked a portion of the Serpentine Wall, same results. Headed up river to the mouth of Manhattan Marina in Dayton - 1 dink. Up to the Dayton, Ky. piers - nada. Across to the mouth of the Little Miami - one dink. Fished around the water intake plants - shutout. Trolled shad raps up to the I-275 bridge in 10-15 feet of water - no hits. Fished the fill rock on the other side of the I-275 bridge - 1 thirteen inch largemouth. Back down to the Dayton piers - 1 twelve inch Kentucky bass. Pulled out at 1:30pm. Perfect conditions, wind no factor, but no current.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think the lack of current also has lot to do with no bites. Maybe the rain will help with getting some current back.
Not in the case of bass fishing. It is strictly about bass populations - they are far, few between and mostly dinks. About 10 years ago the Markland pool began to show promise. It had a good population of 12 inch fish, there was abundant bait fish in the water, and it led to the false hope that bass fishing was about to stabilize.

Unfortunately, it has been all downhill from there. What bass fishing there is, is done in the western end of the pool and it too is pretty much lousy.

I credit this to fishery management of the river being done by four states - Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, and West Virginia.
Believe me if the Ohio River ran straight down through the state of Kentucky following I-75 we would have a moderately active bass fishery - The Fish and Wildlife folks would see to it, but as is, shared with three other states, our fishery is best left to fend for itself.

Many will say that Cumberland and the other bigger state impoundments provide good bass fishing. I strongly disagree. It is hit and miss there at best as well. I'm privleged to know what good bass fishing is, and we have nothing that remotely resembles it here in Kentucky (or southern Ohio).
I feel bad for these guys who own 200hp bass boats that fly up and down the river, or across Ceasar's Creek or East Fork in search of bass that are under siege, but it's all we have.
This is not an isolated incident of four accomplished bass fishermen having a tough day. IT HAPPENS ALL OF THE TIME.

So I will treasure my 51 days of fishing Pickwick, Tennessee and the North Channel of Ontario, Canada in the spring, and will play the horses throughout the summer, and resign myself to the fact that when I do go fishing here locally in the fall, it is simply to get out fishing, but not to expect any meaningful catching.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
River jumped up about two feet or better over the weekend as a result of the recent rain.
Plenty of current in the river (and muddy water) for this coming week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts