Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what looks like 3-6 layers of chipping bottom paint on my boat..... I want to chemical strip it off an get to a clean bottom. Thinking about doing a barrier coat and bottom paint myself. I think if I do it myself I can do it right with higher end products.

1. Has anyone used the stripping agents out there?

2. Recommendations for barrier paint and bottom paint system?

Toooo nervous to use the angle grinder and don't want to be orbital sanding for weeks with 2000 grit....lol..

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Stripping bottom paint has to be the lousiest job in boating. There are several ways to do it, including liquid stripper, sanding, or sand or soda blasting. I last used Interlux's liquid (gel) stripper. West Marine has one also, for less money, but don't use it. It isn't thick enough to stick on and coat the surface with enough bulk. The Interlux Stripper is thick, you pour it into a paint roller tray and roll it onto the hull. Wait 15-30 minutes or so to allow it time to soften the paint, and then scrape it off with the paint. My hull had at least 15 years of paint buildup and chips of the stuff had come off making a cratered surface. The Interlux worked great. Put heavy plastic down so the crud can be easily cleaned up. If you don't want to get under the hull, or there isn't enough ground clearance, try a pull-scraper on a pole in those areas. That worked good for me. Don't use one of the furniture varnish/paint type strippers on fiberglass. It will soften gelcoat and could ruin the surface of your hull. Some folks use the stripper that comes in strips that are pasted to the hull. Those typically take all night to soften the paint. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Workdog

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am going to frickin quit my job and move north and start a new racket ... i mean business...

So I price out materials at $410 and figure I better check to make sure I can't find someone to do this for me. I get quotes from $1700-$3200 on a 24' boat. The $1700 quote was just to strip the paint! A guy at work said he had his bottom paint sand blasted for $300 in Columbus but had to take off a blue haze but couldn't remember the guys name off of 5th ave. That I could live with because that would be like 70% of the #$$ bustin work.

Does anyone have a reference for someone who can just strip the paint?

BTW thanks work dog

·
Banned
544 Posts
...sandblasting will work just fine. u want an EXPERIENCED sandblaster however, to prevent damage to the gel coat......i would say 300 bucks would be the big money to have it blasted. the benefit of blasting is the surface is now prepped (roughened) to be primered. the cost effective route to primer and top coat paint would be a <single stage urethane>...remember that term.
go to your local AUTOMOTIVE PAINT SUPPLIER, tell them what your doing.
U don't need any of the big name paint products either (PPG, Dupont, R-M).
U do have an air compressor capable of spraying paint?? A paint gun & resperator?....if not, there are some products (Parker paint) that can be brushed/rolled on, but the spray gun route is the cats a$$.

if u chemically strip it, <aircraft stripper> is a common product out there. be aware u don't want to get this chit on your bare skin, or breath it for long periods of time.....its a messy job to strip it chemically.

i owned a bodyshop for 12 yrs and was an ASE tech for a total of 18yrs to tell u the above will work.

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
Find somebody to cob blast it. Much less abrasive to your gelcoat yet gets the old paint off.

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have spent 3 days with sander and soy stripper removing the paint.... this bites....

Suggestions to anyone who is thinking about doing this....

Don't do it on the trailer! Block it so that you can access the bottom at least on your knees.... you will do a better job

Soy Stripper works well and will do a 24' boat using 3 coats of the stuff

Do wear tyveks! This stuff is friendly to everything in the environment except humans!

It takes 2-3 full sunup sundown days to complete the work....

If your 40+ write a check and have someone else do it! You ain't 20 anymore!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts