Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just One More Cast
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to some guys at the Medahl dam and they were telling me that the stripers in there get pretty big, 20-30lbs with most frequent catches in the teens. I used to live in Portsmouth but moved a year ago for a job and I was able to get out to the Greenup dam quite frequently. There we would catch good numbers of wipers and I only caught one striper all year ther, being around 14lbs. Are what these guys telling me right, and if so is it better to fish by boat or by surf casting near the gates? Also what would be my best bet for catching stripers/wipers near the dam by boat. My dad is going to come down sometime with a boat soon and I'd like to show him a good time with the striper/wipers. He came down and fished the Greenup with me last year and the wiper fishing was really slow that day and the largest we caught went 4lbs. I brag to him and my future brother in law about how much fun they are and they are both going to be down soon. Any advice would be great since I have only fished the Medahl a handful of times now and never by boat.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
most of the true striper are caught of the ky side surf casting, atleast thats how the rumerwheel turns. most of the guys down there say it all depends on the day most days it wipers but every one in a while its a striper mixed in and occasionally mostly true's. i think if you have a boat pull up as far as is legally possible, and still safe, right below the main chute. i'd throw a big jig or hopkins like they do from shore and get it down in the swift stuff. also the striper i have seen have mostly come just after dark, or else on cloudy days, i have never seen them on sunny days. also check the tribs i know alot of guys that say they run in the gmr and whitewater where its big enough to get a boat in.
hope it helps

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Woiuld think those fish would come up at dusk till morning and hit near the surface. Expecially Wipers. Any surface activity or bait would be a good sign and start. Dont forget there still just a over grown large mouth!:D ;)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Dont forget there still just a over grown large mouth!:D ;)
Dont' want to pee on your party, but Stripers/Wipers/White bass are "true" bass, Largemouth are actually in the perch family, sunfish, green carp! :D
LMJ

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Ya I know. Just ment that they inhabbit a WIDE variety of temps and water. Green carp!:D Brother!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts