close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Striper, Hybrid, or White Bass???

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jamesdalej, Jun 8, 2004.

1. jamesdalej

jamesdalej Dale Jr. fan

I caught this 15 inch 14 oz. fish (Pic. below) last thursday out of Big Walnut Creek while wading. It was my 2nd ever caught period. Both where caught out of Big Walnut. Me and my friend have been going back and forth saying what we thought it was. We went to the fish i.d. and seen that the fish mostly looked like a Striped or Hybrid striped bass. Has a little darker stripes for a White bass but don't know for sure. Either way, it's a nice fish but we are just wandering exactly what it is. Any and all help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. I caught a bunch of bluegills, rock bass, this striper/hybrid(whatever), 2 largemouth (11 in.), one 12 in. smallie, and one 12 in. saugeye and all of it was out of Big Walnut Creek the past 4 days. All caught on the same lure as well. (1/16 oz. black and white roostertail) Plan on going today if I can. Anybody around might want to try Big Walnut because they are biting, plus different species too. Thanks again for any help about the nameless fish so far and good luck to all going fishing!!!

Attached Files:

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

white bass. Definately.

3. jamesdalej

jamesdalej Dale Jr. fan

Thanks captnroger for your input. Unfortunatly that's 3 different people that say 3 different types. It will help out if somebody else says it's a white bass. I need a tiebreaker! Thanks again for your help though. Also, there's 3 different lakes/quarrys that all run into Big Walnut Creek here. Could it be possible that there could be a few striper or hybrids around? Also, since I only caught 2 ever, are they rare in this part of the area? I only seen them mostly in Lake Erie and such. Just wandering, thanks again!

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

White bass......... :D

5. White bass are abundant in these parts. Hoover is full of them, that's more than likely the source of yours, since it can from Big Walnut.

My wife and I spent a week at Atwood Lake about 2 years ago. We found White Bass in a schooling feeding frenzy at the same spot at the same time everyday. We caught a 100 or more every morning - it was a good workout before breakfast

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Then there was a power shortage here for hours, so I went out & just got back. :eek: Sometimes I think I know a little about "stripes" ;)
    Hybrid striper...
    [​IMG]

Striper...
    [​IMG]

Hybrid striper.
    [​IMG]
    Another Hybrid striper.
    [​IMG]
    Ditto (hybrid)
    [​IMG]
    STRIPER !!
    [​IMG]
    STRIPER....
    [​IMG]

White bass on the bottom, shad in the middle was coming out of the mouth of the hybrid striper on top. The WB hit the small jig & the wiper hit a fly, that's a skipjack rig, used to catch bait. :eek:
    [​IMG]

7. white bass for sure
    those are also so very nice pics of stripers

8. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

call me stupid... i'd say HYBRID! :D

9. Hybrid ? Look at the horzontal lines on your picture of your hybrid see the broken lines.White bass do not have any broken lines Hybrids do Hope this helps. Nice Pics Good Luck Fishguy :)

10. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Most likely a White Bass. One thing that can help eliminate confusion for anglers when trying to identify any hybrids by sight is to remember that the descriptions and pics out there are of "typical" hybrids, whether they are Wipers, Saugeyes, et.al..Keep in mind that hybrids carry the color genes from both parent species and CAN look identical to either. Think of it this way....if a woman had 300,000 children at a crack like fish do, lol, while most would be a mix and show it, some would look like Mom and some like Dad. In the pic posted however, I see no typical broken lines. There looks to be a healed scar though, unless it's just the way the pic came out. Most likely a Whitey but no guarantees.

11. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

I can't tell the differance but coming out of walnut creek I would say white bass for sure.
    OH NO, mine looks like the wife and the mailman. :eek:

12. jamesdalej

jamesdalej Dale Jr. fan

Thanks everyone for helping me out on identifying the fish. Luckily for me and my friend we where both wrong. Lol... A few of you guys where talking about 'broken lines' on the fish. I thought I figured it out compared to Mrfishohio's pics. (Nice pics. by the way) but a few of them still stump me. That vertical line on my fish was some kind of healed scar. Don't know what it was from but it seemed healthy and the other side was perfect. To safe me and my friends confusion if I catch another one I'll ask the pros here because you all know the differences. I know about most game fish but not much about stripers or eyes. Also next time I'll try to have a bigger picture on my post. I'm new at this site so I don't know how to get pics. on full sized. It always tells me that my file is too big. Thanks again to you all for telling me what fish it was. Good luck fishing!

13. I'm 52, been fishing big Walnut for 30 years. I've caught a bunch of white bass in that creek, they're actually native to the creek, hence their population in Hoover Reservoir. They aren't near as plentiful in the creek as they once were, in fact, they have become rare. A hybrid strper caught from Big Walnut would be a "fluke", but I have released a few into the creek on my way home from Buckeye Lake over the years. I live around 2 blocks away from the creek, in the Noe-Bixby/Livingston Ave. area. I've put tons of crappie & channel cats in the creek over the years in that area, from my livewell after fishing Hoover & Buckeye Lake.

The long, slow-moving pool under the railroad bridge on Noe-Bixby holds some real big crappie, and I'm sure it's because of the fish I dumped in there over the years.