close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

striper fishing?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Juan More Fish, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Juan More Fish

Juan More Fish AKA Dnavarroj

Whens the best time to go striper fishing?
    Is fall good?
    Where is a good place to catch a striper?
    I live in cloumbus, sort of.:)

2. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

White bass or striper? I dont believe there are any fishable populations in ohio, maybe seneca. Buckeye has hybrids..........Ohio river has great pop of hybrids.......

3. Do they still stock the hybrids in Buckeye?

4. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

kiser lake has hybrids and whiteys

5. the fall is prime, if your serious about getting some in ohio and you release them pm me, it would be a drive but you would catch fish and have as good a shot at true striper as you will anywhere in ohio. kiser is stocked with striper as well, I have no experience with that lake.

6. Seneca Lake is about the only place in Ohio that I know of w/ true Stripers.......

Hybrids are good @ the Ohio River.

7. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

Kiser has pure stripers with some 3-4 yr old fish getting close to 8 lbs. There are still a few "old" wipers from 10-15 lbs. Fall is an excellent time to catch them.

8. Hey does anyone know if they still stock the hybrids in Buckeye?

9. yes they still stock hybrid in buckeye lake.Quite a few at that.The catch is alittle down from previous years but there are some hogs in there,they also started stocking dillon with them in 2006.

10. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I'm down at Lake Cumberland, they're catching Stripers here and these are the real deal!!

Was out at Buckeye the other night saugeye fishing and there was a guy telling me he had been catching Stripers. I asked him to show me what they looked like and he pulled up a stringer with half dozen 5" long white bass. I just congratulated him on his catch;)

When I hear people talk about Stripers I think about these 40+ LBr's they get here in KY. I think I'll stick with the Saugeyes although I did see some big boils out in the shad pods the other night that weren't saugeyes.

11. shroomhunter

I had 2 of them beasts on my ultralight outfit and I couldn't do anything with them. Of course 4 LB test line wasn't designed for them monsters, couldn't believe they were slamming my tiny little crappie tubes, but it was fun while I had them on. I did see a guy nail one on a crankbait, about 3 or 4 LBS.

12. Lake Cumberland in Kentucky used to produce some beast stripers.....from what i hear, they fished out all the big ones out. My grandpa used to have a houseboat down there, among a bass boat & ski boat and they used to troll around the islands & catch some very nice stripers... 18# +. my dad actually has a picture of one that he caught when i was about 3-4 years old & the fish towered over me lol.

13. shroomhunter

Stopped in Lake Cumberland Outdoors today which is a small Bass Pro Shop and was looking at the Stripers they had mounted. The one beast is a 50 pounder caught in 1987, that had to be BIG FUN!!!

14. yep, that was around the time we boated/fished up there.. I didn't do much b/c i was 3-4 years old at the time, but i made sure i was always out in the boat w/ my dad & grandpa when they were fishing...

there were some monster stripers back then....some even large than 50# caught.

15. downtime8763

downtime8763 Retired UPS

Kiser lake her in Ohio does have striper's and For me I go to Norris Lake in Tennessee in the spring(us to go in fall also go to pricey with gas ect))and ketch 5 to 20+lbers. Have been going since 1992.Thats me holding a 8 lbr on my boat this past spring on my posting.