Striped Bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Columbusslim31, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I did a search on striped bass in Ohio and discovered that they are apparently stocked in Senecaville Lake. Other info provided states that this is the only place they are stocked in Ohio. In addition, they only grow to 5 pounds max in Ohio. Is this accurate? Has anyone here ever caught striped bass in numbers here? Anything over 5 lbs? I'd love to go there and fish for some stripers but it'll likely be in the distant future. Just want to satisfy my curiosity.

2. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

In a continuing effort to convert Kiser Lake from a healthy, sustaining biomass of native fishes to a put and take pay lake, the state now stocks 40,000 striped bass annually. Last year, the oldest year class had reached about 15 inches. Can't tell you how big they'll be this year, or how big they'll eventually get...however, I do suspect they'll grow to be much larger than 5 pounds.

3. I thought Kiser only got "wipers", not striped bass. Seems it would be way too small for stripers.
    Slim, as for Senaca, there are stripers in there & some get way bigger than 5 lbs. I trolled the area of the dam with my nephews a couple years back & couldn't keep the 18-20" stripers off. Landed one about 6 or 7 pounds, but didn't see any hogs that day.

4. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

The wiper stockings stopped about 3 years ago. At it's zenith, they were stocking 18,000 advanced fingerlings annually. As I stated, it's 40,000 pure striper fingerlings at present management intelligence levels. The "idea" is to use Kiser as a brood pond for their breeding stock in the state wide stocking programs of striper fingerlings.

If that makes sense...please feel free to PM me, and explain it.

Thanks.

5. they basically use kiser as a brood lake for striper now, but i dont know how the fishing is. however you can catch fish bigger than 5lbs in the ohio and its tribs, rarely numbers but they are there.

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've seen some HOG stripers pulled out of Seneca over the years...well over 5lbs, some 20+.