strike indicators

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by dcfisherman, Feb 21, 2009.

1. trying to make one out of cork. how do i do that?

2. Hey DC, You've bought a fly rod and already launched in to a very subtle and esoteric area of fly fishing.... WHEW!!!! I'll preface this by saying that this is how I make/use cork (Corkies, is what I call them) when I'm fly fishing.

First, I'll talk about intent. Then making one. I use a corkie to help me manage how high in the water column my fly will float as it goes thru a drift.
    There are times when fish are feeding in the surface film or an inch or two below the surface and if your fly is not in that zone, you will not get a look or a strike or a fish. I use a corkie to keep my fly in the strike zone when the fish are feeding in that very top level of the water column.

That little piece of cork, along with greasing your leader with floatant, keeps the fly high in the surface film or just sub-surface. How far above the fly you place the corkie on your leader also affects how high the fly floats in the water column. I usually will start by placing the corkie about 2 feet above my fly and then slowly adjust it further up the leader, which lets the fly sink lower in the water during a drift.

To summarize, I us that little piece of cork to manage where my fly is in the water. Then, when ever that little piece of cork pauses, ever so slightly, indicating that there might be a fish on the other end of the line, gently lift your rod, keeping it parallel to the water and pointed toward the corkie. If you feel the weight of a fish, DO NOT SET THE HOOK WITH THE ROD! Instead, using the hand that you're are holding the line, strip the line in sharply with that hand. This is called a strip set. If you are used to using a spinning rod or a conventional rig, this is the equivalent of feeling the weight of the fish and continuing to reel before you sweep set the hook. Fish on... If it's a steelhead, Good Luck and may the Gods be with you.... :)

How to make one. Not sure how big the cork is you have. Usually between 1/4 x 1/4 to 1/2 x 1/2 inch is good. take a needle that is slightly thicker than your leader material and poke it thur the cork. Paint the cork a bright color so you can see it on the water. You've made a Corkie.

Slide it up on our leader before you tie on your fly and secure the cork in place by sliding the point of a tooth pick up into the hole the line is now going thru and break off the tip of the tooth pick when the fit is nice and tight.

Voila!

Good Luck, Tight Lines, Catch Large!

Cheers,
    Plugman

3. Thanks a bunch!