Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: went stream fishing in yellow creek the other week, just outside toronto, for some smallies. when i was there it had just rained alot and the ohio was very high moving faster than normal it appeared. when fishing for smallies we were using 6 - 8 inch shad caught with a cast net and the strangest thing happened. for about 2 hours my buddy and i ran into a school of stripers, or hybrids, im not sure but it seemed a little odd that we were catching these beasts in a creek. I figured that maybe the fish were taking shelter in the smaller creek, or possibly spawning? I'm not to sure the behavior of this fish but I do know they were crushing these shad. We were using medium weight spinning rods, and I'll tell you these fish are fighters! I had many hooked but only landed 3 lots of them broke my 6lb fireline like it was 2lb mono, or straightened my hooks like they were aluminum. I've only fished on purpose for these guys twice and fell in love with there strength. Does anyone know why we ran into these fish on this little creek, and does anyone know a consistent method of finding these fish? any help would be appreciated Thanks.

·
"I sat by the river" N.Mc
1,062 Posts
They will move up to spawn this time of year. THey will start to move once the water temp hits about 55F. They will usually be right behind the shad so when you start to see active shad in the creeks you can asume the stripers/hybrids and white bass are not far behind, S

·
Moving water...
658 Posts
Yeah, they are a blast when you can find them in the creeks. I thought they'd already went back out into the river. How far up the creek were you? did you get a water temp? The small creeks I've been on are almost 80 degrees during the day.

Its my understanding they make a run into the creeks after baitfish and also instictively since stripers do the same from salt water into the freshwater rivers for spawning.

As for consistent method of finding them, I can't help you there. I plan for them to come into the creeks in the spring and the fall usually when water temps are ideal (about 55 degrees) and when they are not there, I go to the creek mouths and then to the main river. Last fall was really good on the river too since the warmer weather kept the bite up well into December.

However, the last couple of years, they didn't even make a run into the creek I usually fish. I bet I fished every other day last spring and didn't catch any wipers in the creek. Did well in the main river though.

CW

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm from akron ohio and was visiting a buddy of mine so as for how far upcreek we were im not too sure. as for the water temp, it was very cold. this was about 3 weeks ago, if i'm not mistaken, and i remember the water being very cold. cold enough for me not to want to wade for a extended period of time. I was looking for higher islands and rocks to stand on. so I'm guessing about 60 at the most. This is starting to make sense because we were cast netting shad in the same creek and it wasn't long after we caught the shad that we were catching wipers or stripers. Does anyone know how you can you tell the difference?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
^Real Stripers have long bodies and no broken lines. Wipers look like Giant whitebass. I cant tell the diff between whitebass and wipers besides the size.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good deal, nice to know for future reference, however if i wasn't so lazy I could have just scrolled up and found that answer on the other post.....I'm a moron, thanks for the info tho, well appreciated.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
good deal, nice to know for future reference, however if i wasn't so lazy I could have just scrolled up and found that answer on the other post.....I'm a moron, thanks for the info tho, well appreciated.

You stole the words from my mouth! ;)
I posted that when we first started this forum for Stripers/Wipers.
Sounds like great fishing, they are strong, and addictive!
LMJ

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
:D Hey Jeff knows a good place to catch them in the current . All the conveniences of a city street. Cast right on the sidewalk, reel it a little, and then hold on for dear life!! Even in 30 degree weather!! Too bad the water's too low. Huh Jeff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts