close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stream Smallies...

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BASmead, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Finally got a chance to hit a few stretches of one of my favorite streams yesterday and today. Yesterday went with a buddy, he fished a fluke and i fished an assortment of grubs and tubes. All i could catch were a couple measly rockbass and he caught 5 or 6 smallies and no rockbass in the same water. Unfortunately, there was only 1 fluke to be had. Kinda frustrating. So today i grabbed up a bag of babybass colored flukes and headed out by myself from about 5:30p till' dark. Tore 'em up. That bait is so much fun to fish. I miss prolly 70% of the bites with it, but smallies always seem willing to try again when you toss it back in there. So many explosive little surface blasts. It amazes me how strong those little guys are. Such a cathartic experience to wade a creek by yourself and get into some aggressive fish. 10 inch Smallmouth are powerful enough to get some pretty good adrenaline going when they crash the surface. All in all, a terrific day. Caught 20 some Smallies, mostly around 10-12 inches. Got 2 that were larger, pretty heavy for this stream, prolly a little under 2 lbs. I was kept company for most of the wade by a female eagle who seemed to be keeping an eye on me, which was a little intimidating. Twice she flew right through the river corridor about 15 ft above my head, i could see her eyes following me the whole time. Huge, powerful bird. I saw the male briefly, he seemed to be be quite a bit smaller. Great day on the crick, i'm going back for more tomorrow.

2. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Sounds like a good day.:) How can you tell if an eagle is male or female?:confused:

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Awesome report! Sounds like you had a blast with them flukes. They love em this time of year!

CG

4. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I'll bet that Eagle has learned to follow fishermen for easy meals after a fish is tired out or injured. I would have been tempted to toss one to it...yes, yes, I know that is the wrong thing to do.

5. care to pm a fellow angler a spot I am obsessed with smallmouths now!

6. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I don't know any "spots" in your part of the state. That isn't really the right question for this subject. If you are obsessed with stream smallies, you really just need to know what type of habitat they like and apply that knowledge to almost any flowing water in Ohio.

You don't really need any pm's, just read all of the stream smallie posts from the other forums on this site and check out some other web sites too.

7. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Google the words "river" and "smallmouth." Google "stream" and "smallmouth" and you will get more.

I don't read all of the forums religiously, but a lot of people in a many of the forums on OGT discuss their tactics and areas.

Have fun. It's a great obsession.

8. I believe the male Bald Eagle has the white head and tailfeathers and the females are completley dark. I'm not 100% positive about that, but i'm pretty sure.

9. Sorry but Wrong,

Male and Female Bald eagles both have white head and tail feathers, but ONLY after they are mature (about 3 years old). young ones from about a 1 year old to about 3yr olds are mostly dark. some have a white feather here or there but they do not have the all white feathers on the head or tail until later.

The only easy way to tell them apart, is if a "nesting pair is together" the female will be the bigger bird. Seeing 1 bird by itself, you will guess it right only 50% of the time. ;)

10. Interesting, thanks for the info. Could it be a different breed or something? I'm pretty sure they are a nesting pair and the larger one is all dark.

11. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

The larger one is an immature bird. I knew that both sexes looked alike, but I figured you might have know something I've never heard of.;) They arn't like ducks where the hen is a drab color that blends in.:)

12. The female may only be about 3 or 4 yrs old.
    Male Bald eagles get their white feathers at a younger age at about 2 or 3 years old. But females usually don't get their white feathers until they are about 3 to 5 yrs old.

It sounds like it may be a new / young nesting pair. They may be still trying to stake a claim to that area. that may be why she was watching you so. She just wanted to know that you were not a threat.