close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stream Small Mouths

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by PoleSnatcher, Apr 26, 2005.

1. I was wondering what everyone uses for small mouth in streams such as Big Darby and Deer Creek. I have had my most success on Rooster Tails but would like to try something different this year that would hopefully produce some :B

thanks guys

2. You wont use anything other than ROOSTERTAILS ANYWAY! :D

3. I use to fish big and little darby alot, I used minnows with bobbers and softcrawls, helgramites also. Various lures , white rooster tails ect. But always had the best luck with live bait

4. I'm trying to try other baits but it's hard when I land so many fish with those things. I never get :S

5. My main river smallie baits are:

#1- Tubes, mostly in pumpkin seed.

#2- Smaller floating rapalas or other floating, shallow running cranks.

#3- rebel mini-craw cranks.

Usually, my stream pack just contains these baits with a few different sized jigs heads for the tubes. I might throw in some roostertails, twister tail grubs or smallish willow leaf spinner baits.

Steve

6. Tubes!

That's it, you don't need anything else.

OK, maybe a Senko every now and then.

7. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

you guys texas rig the tubes for streams or use a jighead like you would with a twistertail?

8. I use jig heads that are designed for tubes. These are made so that the weight is actually inside the tube. I forget who makes the ones I like (maybe Gizit?).

I'll also use regular jig heads or a t-rig with a bullet weight. These work fine but the jig heads made for tubes help keep the bait from getting hung under rocks as much. I'd go with regular jig heads before I'd use a t-rig if I had the choice (harder for the fish to throw the lure).

Steve

9. I use tubes in any color of dark green rigged on a #1 long shanked hook with a split shot above it if necessary. I usually use a 2½ or a 3" tube, nothing bigger in the rivers up here. :)

10. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I used to fish a variety, now I only fish tubes rigged with a 1/8 oz. jighead

11. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I lied, I occassionaly fish white spinnerbaits as well

12. Spinnerbaits don't work--especially 1/5 ounce chartreuse ones :D I never outfish anyone on the Big Darby with these terrible lures. Just leave them at home, or better yet, leave them on the stump next to the bridge and I'll dispose of them for you.

I will be throwing more tubes down there this year. Spinnerbaits often find the bigguns, but they often "blow up" on the spinnerbait and the tube is the throwback bait.

Strike the last comment about spinnerbaits finding the bigguns. I meant they don't work. ;)

13. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Tubes, spinners, and shallow running Rapalas.....same as everyone else!

14. Tubes:

3.5” Snoozers Road Kill Camo

3/0 EWG

1/8oz EZ rattling tube weigh

Tex-posed

I have also been using Mega Strike on my tubes for the last two years, and I think that the smallies hold on longer.

15. Hey Dave when the creek is back to normal we'll give it a try for some smallies. I have some tubes that I have been using the last few years and been doing really good with them, you can try them out and see what ya think. Also case hellgramites are pretty good.

16. My favorites:

#1 mepps aglia spinner w/brown tail
    #2 small shallow running rapala in black and silver
    #3 tubes-browns and greens
    #4 small buzz bait

For numbers of fish, I'll drift a fresh caught crawdad and for big fish, I like a black jitterbug worked along weed edges and other cover.

17. Minnows under bobbers,I always cast up stream and let them float down.

18. My Favorite bait for large numbers is a small silver or fire tiger bomber A shallow running crankbaits. For few numbers but bigger smallies I like to use big twister tails or better yet just about any kind of big shallow running cranks.

19. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I like live bait best, but if i go artificial, I have had good luck with Rapala Shad Raps, Wally Divers and Rebel Craws. Inline spinners such as the blue fox and Mepps are always a good go-to bait.

20. I got some tubes, gonna throw them at Hargus tomarow!!!

we need to get that canoe out this summer when it gets warm and float the creek, since it is your canoe, I'll do all the hard work and catch the fish!!!!! :D