Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen several post about strangest thing you've ever reeled in. i figured with not much fishing to talk about i'd go with this. when i was out on tuesday was pulling up anchor and it did not want to budge. no much wave action to give some leverage. finally got it loose and started lifting. it was 3 inces up two inches back.the rope was also swinging so i figured maybe i got the lake erie monster. long story short, after about 15 minutes (a long time for a tired old man) it came to the surface. it was a zebra covered exhaust system minus the muffler. the bend in the pipe had wedged between the anchor flukes so it was spinning as i was trying to pull it up. tried to shake it loose, but wouldn't give. another five minutes i finally got where i could release it unharmed to fight another day. i'm having hand surgery in a few weeks, i think i gave them something more to work with. sorry forgot to take a picture

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
A few years ago, I pulled up another anchor. Now we have a spare in the shed.

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
A few years ago, I pulled up another anchor. Now we have a spare in the shed.
I got an extra anchor because of this too!

·
Registered
321 Posts
About ten years my buddy and i was fishing the Ohio river across from the mouth of the Hocking river,i was vertical jigging and got snagged in 35 feet of water so i pull out my lure retriever with 250 pound test and and lower it and get a hookup.I start pulling and pulling until i thought my arms were going to explode,almost to the boat and my buddy had to help me when it popped to the surface there was this big black 105 amp deep cycle battery with my lure laying on top of it.I often thought what was the odds of hooking something like that and wondering if the boat it came off of was down there. Tight Lines Fishguy

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
This year by Niagara reef we pulled up our anchor that had another anchor which had another anchor on that anchor. Thus we had three anchors on one pulled and my back is still hurting.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Another anchor, a big stump that had maybe 20 hooks, sinkers, and lures on it, an old fishing rod, oh yea, a big can.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Preach......ya know I need a new exhaust system. THINK man!!!

Twice at West Branch I've had to cut anchors loose. Both were simple concrete/milk gallon drag anchors. Who knows how they get stuck?

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Preach......ya know I need a new exhaust system. THINK man!!!

Twice at West Branch I've had to cut anchors loose. Both were simple concrete/milk gallon drag anchors. Who knows how they get stuck?
Bob, you're a good man! Making future memories for other fishermen... :p :D:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last year during jig bite my neighbor who is generally pretty "green" when it comes to fishing hooked into something "big". It was pretty windy and it was peeling line off quick. Several guys on board said to just cut the line. I insisted on motoring up to his fish? Gradually he made headway and thought he had the fish of his dreams. Reeled in this monster and lo and behold it was a 10ft telescopic rubber coated net. Cha-ching! Captain claimed the bounty and i use this net regularly

·
Registered
508 Posts
Two years ago I was swimming off of my pontoon boat in portage lakes with my family. After an hour or so of swimming we packed up to leave. I pulled up the anchor and attached to it were a pair of mens underwear! Needless to say....we went home and got a shower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your cheep anchor is good for WB, they left a lot of treestumps with the roots in the ground and they will eat metal anchors all day long.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Strangest thing I ever caught with my anchor was an old Pflueger trolling motor. I took it home and put new cables on it and a couple of toggle switches and it works. It is designed to operate on six volts as well as twelve. No plastic on this old baby, everything seems to be stainless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts