close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Strange sound on the 'Hoga

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Brooklyn, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Was wading the 'Hoga last night at Cascade and heard a strange buzzing sound. The only way I can describe it is a large hummingbird barely coming out of the water! It happened twice right in front of me as I was casting. Whatever it was produced a small swirl/splash. My first thought was a kingfisher entering the water, but whatever it was came from the water, not the air. Can't imagine what type of fish could produce this sound. Anybody know what the heck it was? By the way, only got 2 small smallies, both on rebel craws.

2. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Not sure, but don't dragonflies hatch from the water?
    Or they may have been laying eggs in the water?

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

sounds like a chupacabra..(sp)

4. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Are you sure it wasn't coming from behind you? Wading and too many beans has been known to cause this:S

Maybe you were there while something was hatching...How big were the splashes/swirls?

If it was too dark and you couldn't see it could've been bats getting too close to the surface or locusts trying to avoid being eaten. However, I'm going to put my money on a June bug!?!?

5. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Another sasquafish report

6. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

YOURE BRINGING BACK THE MEMORY OF A COUPLE WEEKS AGO!!!!!!!
    I was fishin for cats a couple weeks ago when i sat my bag down a friggin yellow jacket nest....wow they got me good! I bet it was a pretty amuzing sight to the people in the park when i took off through the field shedding clothes and swatting bees.

7. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Your lucky Predator, we just had a woman die here in town due to extensive bee stings, ran over the nest with the mower and the squad couldnt get to her in time.

8. maybe it was the ghost HOOP

9. I saw a program on the discovery channel a few nights ago about UFO's, and after watching that show I believe you have stumbled upon USO Unidentified Submerged Objects. My moneys on Martians.;)

10. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Were you fishing above the **** factory or below ?

11. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

:D What the heck are people eating that would be causing their turds to hum or buzz?

12. Hot Wings and Red Bull:D

13. I have a couple of theories.
    Either some dude with a buzz bait was hiding behind a tree screwing with your head, or may be YOU tied on the "buzz" bait that night. :p :p :D
    In all seriousness though, Snipes make that noise during mating season.

14. Thanks for all the input guys. Much kinder than my buddy in Dayton who figured I had stopped off for a few beers before fishing. The buzzing sound was definitely a buzzing wing-like sound. A bat is a possibility. Maybe it dropped something in the water, as opposed to coming out of it. Or, I'm just crazy!

15. smallie

smallie smallmouth icon

Hey Brook, That Sound Is Easy To Identify... It Was My Bengals Drowning In Their Own Misery

16. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Smallie, the Browns were drowning right next to them !

17. The way the Brown's luck goes, they'd call a time-out at the last second, the kick would miss, and the next one would sail right through the uprights.