close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Strange request in marketplace forum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nickadams, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I have a boat for sale in the market place forum, and I have had a very strange inquiry. I obviously will not entertain this person, but I want to warn some of you who may have smaller items for sale. It could be legit, but I doubt it and I will not take the chance. Mods please check this out and see if anyone else has been contacted in this fashion. I have even received a phone call from this person.

He wrote:

Sorry, for the delay in writing,i was busy discussing with a friend of mine who is oweing me some money in the Us and who will be responsible for sending you the payments,we had a little agurements,he was angry that i wish to collect back the money that he ownes me very urgently when he has not enough cash with him.

All has been settled now and he is ready to send payments to you.I have also spoken to my Shipping Agents who will be responsible for the shippment of the Boat to my Location here in the U.k.I will not be able to take a look at the boat, physically coz i am not presently in the U.S.i am on an Offical Assignments here in the U.k,so i will not be able to come down.

I will need you to send me your informations like this so that i can forward to my friend who will be sending you the payments.

INFO LIKE THIS:

1 YOUR FULL NAMES:
    2 YOUR FULL ADDRESS AND ZIP CODE.

When i receive this,i will forward to my friend and payments will be sent to you.

Regards,

Mr.Johnson.

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Been going on for months now, maybe even the last two years. Usually the guy is from overseas, wants to buy the boat and wants to wire you money or something. You cash the check, send him some money back, suddenly the check is no good and you get stuck. Ive seen it a bunch.

It's a scam. Don't waste the time. The old saying, "if it looks to be too good to be true it probably is" is 100% on this one.

UFM82

3. Dont give them info.
    make them come to you with cash for it.
    It is a scam, I have seen it before.
    I have even gotten a few inquirys of this type.
    Dont give it to them Nick. Make these guys show you the cash.

4. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Nick...did that request come to you via PM or OGF e-mail?

5. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

OGF Email, and someone called my cell phone but I couldn't understand him...

6. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Just send me your social security number and bank account(s) number(s) and I'll personally make sure he never bothers you again :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whenever I get those emails (SPAM) form Nirobi and Liberia, I always ask "Are you sure you don't need my SS# and bank number in order to send me the money?" or I'll say " just start sending the cash and I'll tell you when to stop"...I usually don't get any replies :)

7. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

BTW...You might want to also include your mothers maiden name and that of your dog's as well when you send me your info....just in case ;)

8. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Elemenophee brings up a good point, if anyone else would like my personal info PM me and I will send you a card to directly debit my account.

9. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Spam...it's what's for dinner :(

10. NEVER EVER!!!! Never give out that info...EVER!!!

11. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Shake, unfortunatly this is more than spam.

12. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Hah..i meant to say SCAM..haha

13. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

What are you talking about DaddyO? Post #1 or mine? If it's post #1, how do you do business here? This time I'm really not trying to be a smartass...I really want to know

14. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

my neighbor sold her 3 yr. old ford excursion for $18,000. she or her 18 yr old son took a certified bank check and had the title transferred. well the check was stolen, and the guy legitimatley sold the car the next day before the found out the check was a fraud.now a dealer has her excursion legally and the guy has the money from the car dealer. they been to court about 6 times.this is all without the guy w/the stolen check of course. no telllin where he is at.

15. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

My buddie recieved a email from what he thought was ebay requesting him to update his pal pal /bank account info....he sent the info requested....they cleaned out his bank avvount and ran up his ebay account...he got some back but was still out about $400.00...never did figure out who

16. I don't know Nick Adams, the guy sounded pretty sincere to me. It might be legit. Everyone on here needs to be a little more trusting. As a matter fact just last month, I get this email out of the blue from Sierra Leone in Africa. I guess this group of people are trying to escape their "war torn country" and make it to America. However, they are unable to come to America without this "wealthy group's" money. So...what they needed from me was my bank account so that they could transfer their $10,000,000 U.S. Dollars and they will claim the money once they got to the U.S. Well...at first I was a little apprehensive but I finally said what the hey. Never thought much about it when I gave them my account info and come to find last Friday my wife asked me to print off bank statements from our internet account at Huntington. Well....I access our account on line and guess what???? Yep.....$10,000,000 buckaroos on top of the couple grand I had in there! But the catch is, once these people get to America I have to give it all back except $100,000 that they are giving me for holding their money for them. Its hard to have $10,000,000 in the bank and not spend it. I hope these people know that any interests collected I am keeping too!

I haven't told the old lady about this because I plan to get a new truck, new boat, and some other toys. If I told her about it, she would want a new house because apparently the RV just isn't big enough for her.

17. Ken

Ken KLN

I got the samd type of message when I posted a van on yahoo last fall

18. I have seen all sorts of scams via e-mail as well and that is one of them. 2TallTim mentions a good one that everyone should be aware of. As cautious as I am on everything that I receive I still was left scratching my head on the E-Bay request at first. This one is realistic enough that I imagine they get some people on it. What they do is send you a notice as if it is from E-Bay indicating that your account has been suspended due to security reasons and that you need to go to the supplied link to verify data before the account can be reisntated. And the site that the link takes you to looks very legit. I believe that what they ask for on the link is verification of credit card information, which in this case is not really verification but rather theft. So be VERY cautious when asked for anything more than your name. If in doubt, contact the company directly if applicable. If you are still in doubt just hold out on information.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  19. Ebay will never ask for personal info in an email.
    They will request you go to the site and open a new window from there on their SECURE LINK.
    Never give any personal info in an email. Odds are you will be broke and sorry.

20. Walleyeguy is right that they will not ask for personal info in an e-mail. But what I am warning about here is that this was not in an e-mail either. It was a link to a "secured site" (not really though) to enter the information.

When in doubt at all I would suggest to contact the company directly by phone to a number that is definitely theirs and not one supplied in the e-mail correspondence.