Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I were fishing a bass tournament at Mosquito lake Sunday and he caught something I did not know was in the lake. It was about an 8 or 9 pound sheep head; we were shocked first that it was not a big bass second of what it was. Has anyone else every caught one or heard of someone catching one at Mosquito?

·
Finny's Custom Rods
670 Posts
Yes, for about the last five years now, people have been catching a few. There are even some photos on the board at Causeway bait.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It figures as many Lake Erie boats I see on that lake that eventually somebody would do that, I'm sure Zebras are going to be well established if they aren't already.
Soon it will known as Little Erie.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not surprised. There are Gasper Goos in Lake Milton and Berlin also. Also known as Croakers.

Sent from my PG86100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,867 Posts
It figures as many Lake Erie boats I see on that lake that eventually somebody would do that, I'm sure Zebras are going to be well established if they aren't already.
Soon it will known as Little Erie.
100's of thousands of zebras died off last year with the low water levels. if you took a walk along the south east shore line it was like walking on zebra carpet. I got photos somewhere, ill post a few if I can find them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
wow sheephead in mosquito we dont need that. i fish berlin alot havnt seen em there yet-what next asian carp-kill em if u catch em

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
wow sheephead in mosquito we dont need that. i fish berlin alot havnt seen em there yet-what next asian carp-kill em if u catch em
Well, unlike Asian carp, sheephead are native to the Ohio River watershed(which includes Mosquito). Why there aren't many in mosquito? I don't know, could be habitat, etc or maybe they're just a fan of the stretches lower in the river systems. Even if you get rid of all the dams between mosquito and the river there still may not be many that swim up to the Mahoning and Mosquito Creek, but they can if they wanted to and who knows they could have been in the creek long before us humans started tinkering with the waterways.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a few smallies in Mosquito. One actually made it to the weigh in this past weekend

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
100's of thousands of zebras died off last year with the low water levels. if you took a walk along the south east shore line it was like walking on zebra carpet. I got photos somewhere, ill post a few if I can find them.
I've been pulling up zebra mussells at Mosquito for well over 5 years now. Fish the drops on the south end. I took pictures too. I'll post if i find them.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Gotta agree. Zebra Mussels have been in Mosquito for a long time. Years ago you were lucky if water clarity was ever greater than 2'. Now 2' of visibility is dirty water. This year and in recent years I've seen water clarity as high as 6'. And I second that there are a few smallmouth in Mosquito. I caught a very healthy 3 lber about 5 years ago. It's the only one I've ever caught, but I know a couple other people that have caught them as well.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,530 Posts
wasn't there a post a few years back about steelhead making it into squito from the north during high water? I know there are muskie in here also, sounds like the grand river watershed.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Fish eggs sometimes are transported on waterfoul if the birds get into the eggs while swimming.

Sent from my LG-AS730 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
603 Posts
I know of zebra mussels a d smallmouth. Saw a guy last fall catch a 2lber. And from an earlier post about zebra carpet when the water was low. I dont think there are muskie in there. At least I have never heard of anyone catching one. Sheephead I wouldn't doubt. Gobys making it to mosquito just wouldn't happen, skeeter is mostly clay bottom.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
wasn't there a post a few years back about steelhead making it into squito from the north during high water? I know there are muskie in here also, sounds like the grand river watershed.

I remember that thread also. It's definitely possible, but even during very high water I still think it's a long shot for a steelhead to make it's way into Mosquito. Not impossible though. My musky theory is the fish have always been there, but there's just an extremely small population. Either that or someone put them in there(which could be the case with the steelhead). Don't think a musky would try to work it's way into Mosquito from the Grand, but it's not impossible I guess, just very unlikely imo.

I'd be interested in hearing more drum stories from our inland lakes. Interesting topic.

I've never gotten any smallmouths out of the lake, though I know people who have and heck there's even a Youtube video showing one caught from Mosquito. I've gotten them directly below the lake though in the creek.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Drum are native to nearly all streams and rivers in Ohio. I would think that any lake that’s fed by a creek or river could have a few. They certainly don’t thrive for whatever reason, but they exist. I can’t see them doing any harm, not sure what the worry would be. I caught one in Dillon years back, but it’s the only I can recall catching from a lake.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Drum are native to nearly all streams and rivers in Ohio. I would think that any lake that’s fed by a creek or river could have a few. They certainly don’t thrive for whatever reason, but they exist. I can’t see them doing any harm, not sure what the worry would be. I caught one in Dillon years back, but it’s the only I can recall catching from a lake.
I have often wondered why we dont catch drum in lakes more often. We catch them in nearly every stream that feeds our lakes....sometimes only a few hundred yards from the begining of the lake.

We first thought that lakes wouldnt support them. ..but that was quickly dismissed when we learned of lake eries drum population. Any fishery biologists have input here?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
23 Posts
Dont just kill them. Remove them from the water when caught. Other fish may eat the carcass allowing eggs to possibly escape. If you catch em, take em out. Throw them away. Dont allow any to escape no matter what! Please?

Sent from my LG-AS730 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 56 Posts