close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Storing batteries

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Star1pup, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Took the boat over to the marina today for haul out :( . I'll have the batteries in my heated garage, but should I charge them during the winter? If so, how often?

2. Someone else will hopefully chime in that knows more but I know I try to charge them at least a couple of times during the winter. I guess the number of times to charge is based on the number of months they are stored. I have not put mine away for the winter and won't for until about December. And hopefully I will have it back out early next year. Therefore it may only be 3 months of storage.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Don't store them on the floor and charge them once a month. Don't leave the charger hooked to them unless it is your once a month charging.

4. I don't leave mine hooked on the charger beyond the full charge. However I have a on-board battery charger unit on my boat that I just plug in when I get home from the lake. This unit tells in the directions that it is designed to only apply charge when necessary and that you can leave it plugged in extended periods of time. Obviously I would not do that for the winter but I thought I would mention that if you have one of those types of chargers I suppose they could be left on longer.

5. As a general rule you should charge your batteries every 90 days (when not being used) You can store them on concrete. 70 degrees is the ideal temp.
    Start with a full charge and go from there. If you have a charger with a float circuit you can leave them on all the time. Remember to check fluid levels!

Sliprig

6. I have always heard the storing on concrete no-no thing but I have never understood it. I wonder if some say that because storing on the floor of a garage would be much cooler than desired temperature?

7. Thanks for all of the advice. As to storing on concrete, I always heard that it was a no-no, but then someone who should know told me to store on concrete was the best way. I still put wood under mine.

Last year I charged a couple times during the winter and then just before putting back in the boat. One is a cranking battery for the motor and one is a deep cycle for the trolling motor.

Here is something interesting. I have 2 Delco sealed Voyager batteries that were in my sailboat that I sold in 1993. They started the 30hp inboard and powered the radio, lights, etc. I then used them in our camper for a while and with my 16' Smokercraft. Believe it or not, they still work and I use them as a backup for the pontoon and for the trolling motor in the 12' aluminum I use on small waters.

8. The idea to not store batteries on concrete started MANY years ago, when they were made different. At that time, it had some validity to it. For some reason, the theory still lives on today, but theres no reason you can't store a battery on concrete. A while back, someone posted a great site explaining this in better detail than I can.

9. My x's grandpa would put them on a timer, trickle 1 hour a day all winter long. His batteries would last him 10+ years