close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stonelick

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by OhioAngler, Jun 18, 2004.

1. OhioAngler

OhioAngler Snag Master

Is Stonelick in good shape right now? Thought about heading there tomorrow. Is it crowded on the weekends? Any help appreciated! :D

2. I was at Stonelick on Monday and it looked good. The water was stained, but it is ALWAYS stained. I'm sure with the nice weather we are supposed to get this weekend it will be crowded (it will be crowded everwhere). Please post your results because I plan to be fishing there on Sunday!

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Yeah, I fished there last night. The water was a bit stained but still calm. I managed a 12" channel on tutti frutti pescaviva (flavored sweet corn). I fished from 9p to 3a and watched the storms pass in the southern sky. This channel marks the first fish I have caught out of that lake (all I have done is target carp though).

4. Dude...still no carp out of there???? :confused: That's just unbelievable...something must have happened to that lake since I last fished it a few years ago...maybe all the drawdowns they did recently affected the carp population, because i could always catch at least a few fish out of there.

5. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Well, I can't say that I have spent a whole lot of time there and it's usually not in one spot. I'll probably spent 40 hours (about 10 trips) there since march at various spots. I would have thought that corn would have yeilded at least one at this point. A guy I work with catches small flats there all the time. He mentioned something about hearing that wheatballs were a good bait there (I hadn't even mentioned the word carp at this point), so I assume that they are in there and that my tactics are just all wrong.

I did find a few good flathead spots, though they are probably over fished. I did take my cat rod and bought a castnet last night just in case (no catking, I am not making a switch... well, not yet anyway). I also saw a empty can of sweetcorn, which must be a good sign, but then again I also caught a catfish on sweetcorn last night...

6. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Alot of people trout fish there using sweetcorn also. :) I wouldnt bother switching to catfishing, all the lakes here in s/w Ohio have seemed to really Suck for them this year. :mad: Thanks you meathunters :rolleyes:

7. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

yeah, but what about the carp and flathead population in the lake?

8. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Hey, I have no idea about the population of fish in that lake. I think I have only caught 1 fish out of there and it was a trout over by the dam. I have tried for carp there several times and have never even got a hit. :confused: It seems like it would be a great carp lake but for some reason it just seems like there not there.

9. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Well at least I'm not the only one doing bad there. That raises my confidence level a bit. I wanted to go out again tonight but I now have other plans :( I won't have any time to hit it again until at least a week from sunday. Even that is doubtful since I have to drive to and from the Indiana CAGI on saturday. I'll keep you guys posted on the carp situation at stonelick. One of these days I'm bound to catch one...

10. Tim...do you even see carp jumping/splashing while you're there? Back when i fished it...every evening around 7 until dusk you'd see them clearing water all over the lake.

11. catking

catking Banned

Guys, the carp are in there. Even at the carp outting last year, BuckeyeBob and nyself saw several large carp in the shallows . I've seen them jumpin also. I really don't know what the problem is........ CATKING

12. catking

catking Banned

The problem I was talking about was why we can't catch them out of there ;) Nothing to do with all your lack of fishin skills.except maybe Timmy Boy........... :p DA KING !!!

13. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Don't you forget that. Oh wait...