close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stonelick 1/9/05

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JIMS SVT, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Went to stonlick today for some trout.Ended up getting three.The first one was about 13''.The second kindof suprised me.When I pulled him out of the water it was a totaly different color.It was a very bright gold color.What kind was it?It didnt have any spots on it at all.Very pretty fish.It was also 13''.Then I got one more that was 15''.Got all of them under a bobber with a pink/white feather jig tipped with a maggot.The ones Ive been catching are rainbows right?What was this?A golden trout?Took some pics but Ill have to wait to get them developed.Did ok for it being January.

Jimmy

2. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Nice going on the fish! I bet it was nice just to get out. I'll get out one of these days!

I'm not really a Trout Guy but I think they usually stock Rainbows. Correct??

3. Jims SVT, what you caught was what locals call a "Golden Trout" but it really is a Hybrid Rainbow, the state really enjoys stocking these and calling them Goldens. Anyway, it is Genetic defect from overbreeding, what happens is 1 out of every 1000 or so rainbows will come out this way, ( Not a Albino but it does have some similar characteristics) DNR Learned that if you take a male and Female of these Goldens, that the results go up to about 25% of the offspring will be similar so the state enjoys stocking these. They really are a Rainbow with a different color scheme, same habits, same fish just colored differently. I used to know which gene was missing or dormant but that was many years ago. ;)

They make great pictures and are beatiful fish! I m glad you got to enjoy one!

Salmonid

4. Salmonid....thanks for the info on the goldie.Was very sursprised when I seen it.

Tee....yea it was pretty nice to get out today.I just wish I would brought the digital camera and some gloves.Kinda chilly when the sun wasnt shining.

I also seen 5 deer on the way to stonelick and 8 more on the way home.