Ohio Game Fishing banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Finally got one boys..

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
That is great to hear. Where there is one there should be more!

Reactions: Shed Hunter 365

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Bet you were surprised after all that time......

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Looks healthy and tasty! Hope there's many more in that quarry.

Reactions: vib-E

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Another one caught and 2 got off at the boat.what I'm really wanting to catch is a 5-9 in to prove they spawned

How many did you put in and what size were they ?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I put 100 of them in.this thread was started in 2015.they ranged in size of 6-9inches.first one I caught was 18inches and the second one was 19inches.i also fished the ohio river a few years back.it was winter and I had 2 saugeye and a sauger I brought home to eat.they were still alive so I threw those in there too.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Hopeing to get some ice fishing in and ice my first walleye.still waiting on this lake to lockup.takes alot to lock it up being it's so deep.and the wind doesnt help.shall see what this next called snap brings.this would be a hell of a lake to ice fish.i got my spot marked with a tree.lol.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
A huge update to this post.yesterday I had checked my minnow trap I had set in the lake for 4 days.pulled it up and low and behold there it was.walleye minnows along with some bluegill and yellow perch.so they did reproduce.you guys have no idea how excited I was when I saw the tiny walleye.so those of u that doubted walleye spawning in the pit lake.here we are.oh man this is the best thing iv seen ever.lol.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
A huge update to this post.yesterday I had checked my minnow trap I had set in the lake for 4 days.pulled it up and low and behold there it was.walleye minnows along with some bluegill and yellow perch.so they did reproduce.you guys have no idea how excited I was when I saw the tiny walleye.so those of u that doubted walleye spawning in the pit lake.here we are.oh man this is the best thing iv seen ever.lol.

Super !!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I'm assuming the walleye have to be a certain age before reproducing.they are going on roughly 6 yrs old now.as in last years catch the ones I caught were I think it was 18-20inches.i didnt look back at my post but I'm sure that was close

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You are correct about Walleye have to obtain maturity to spawn. It's more a function of size than age. Fish mature as they grow. In large impoundments (in Ohio) with strong forage bases the growth rate will usually present mature fish in 4 years and fish around 20" or greater, but in smaller lakes with less dense forage I am not surprised that a fish would take 5-6 years to mature. Males mature faster, but have shorter life spans and average about 5-7 years, while females will live 7-10 years. Of course there are exceptions and these are ball park averages. Walleye will live and grow just fine in small lakes, but seldom spawn, you have an exception, but not surprising as a quarry is usually a pretty good habitat.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.