close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stocking walleye

Discussion in 'Pond Management' started by vib-E, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Alright vibe me and my 5 y.o are ready to come anytime to help you get rid of them 5 lbers!! Ill swing by and grab bobberbucket on the way

vib-E likes this.
  2. vib-E

vib-E

alright i cant even troll 5 min here without hooking into these every single time..i gotta come up with a bass managment plan.still been trying to catch those walleye i put in.lol.

Attached Files:

bdawg, Saugeyefisher and bajuski like this.

3. Very interesting read, thanks for the update, good luck.

4. vib-E

vib-E

i want to stock yellow perch but would it be worth it?orwould they turn into food?plenty of other bait fish for sure.

5. Start eating some of those bass vib-e.

vib-E and Tinknocker1 like this.
  6. My feeling is you will be lucky o catch many walleye that those bass somehow missed. I hope i am wrong but without weeds to hide in, any fry or fingerlings have the odds stacked against them.

7. I have a 50 x70 x 12 feet deep pond. Ton of cattails around the edges. Makes a horse shoe of cattails. Are cattails good enough weeds or are some weeds better than others for perch to hide in.

8. vib-E

vib-E

the walleye i had put in were 8-10in fish..still possible i guess for bass

9. I grew up with a 1 acre stone quarry in our back yard. For years I threw lake erie walleyes in it to catch again and never seen them to spawn in that quarry.

10. If you are having trouble with Walleye, I am wondering if it would be better for you to stock Saugeye. Given that the Walleye are not likely to spawn anyway, I believe Saugeye may do better. I believe that is why the state stocks primarily Saugeye vs. Walleye on inland lakes. I could be wrong on this but something to consider.

11. vib-E

vib-E

i thought of stocking saugeye.did some research couldnt find saugeye anywhere..i could out of state but it be more expensive.fenders is close so i went with them..

12. If you got bass in your pond they will beat up the walleye.

13. vib-E

vib-E

as many shad thats in the the lake???i can tell you the fish are not starving.

14. I was typing to islandtroller. If you have one acre and put walleye and bass together the bass probably killed the walleye. My suspicion why the walleye disappeared.

vib-E likes this.
  15. Vibe if you want help removing them bass id be more than glad to help! Never eaten a largemouth but id sure as hell try one

vib-E likes this.
  16. vib-E

vib-E

ill keep u in mind...if u eat them thats great.how much is bass fillets going for in stores anyways?hmmmmmm

17. 22.99 a pound. More value than walleyes haha

percidaeben and vib-E like this.
  18. vib-E

vib-E

Update.2 yrs ago i stocked walleye in this pit.havent seen or caught any since..i see tons of fatheads and shiners in the hot summer months.i fish it hard in the early spring and fall.come thanksgiving this year im gonna put. Yellow perch in.iv been talking about it.but now im gonna do it.also wanted to add another fish..either stripped bass or trout..at the deepest its 150ft deep.as in last post no cover whats so ever.i was gonna add trees but not possible cause of the ever changing landscape.what do u guys think of the stripped bass or trout idea?or any other fish..id really like sauger but cant find them any where.need some input.

19. Vib-E, Call Steve over at Fenders. Talk to him, maybe even ask him to come out and make some recommendations as to a solid stocking program for your lake. I'd start taking some of the smaller bass out and leaving the bigger ones alone. Little ones taste better anyway.
    Have you ever walked your shore line at night shining a flashlight looking for the walleyes?

Saugeyefisher likes this.
  20. Walleye spawn in rivers. Any rivers connected to your lake? Should see the walleye in the rivers come spring.