Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many of you guys that troll use Fin-Tail spoons? I've switched over to them this year,and I've been using them and Stingers.I think I still like the action of the Stinger's a little bit better,but the paint comes off the Stinger's after a fish or two.The paint job on the Fin-Tails is definitely better,and I've actually had them outproducing the Stinger's so far this year.I've been doing real well with the wonderbread and mako shark patterns.I hook em' up about 5' behind a #20 Jet Diver and run out about 85' of line,it's been pretty productive for me,unfortunately the sheepshead like em' too!

·
useless poster
8,805 Posts
you just answered your own question correctly. i have both and the dtingers still catch fish with some of the paint missing.i have repainted some with purple fingernail polish for when it becomes a hot color this season again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Does anybody know a place around the Akron area where you can get the PA's? It's kind of a pain to pay $5 for shipping if you're only getting 1-2 spoons.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I have yet to catch a fish with the PAs spoons. I keep hearing that they work, and I throw one out everytime I hit Erie, but I still haven't caught my first eye on one.

Also, I haven't had the problem with paint coming off of my Stingers. I have some from last year that boated many walleyes, and they still look new.

Wolverine tackle has a spoon called a Silver Streak that a buddy of mine has been doing very well on walleyes with. They have the mini streak, which is about 3/4" longer than a stinger, and they also have a micro streak, which is identicle to the Stingers. I couldn't find the micros around here (Gander has the bigger ones), so I did a search on the web, and found a distributer in Michigan that sells them, so I ordered fifty of them to try out.

I've also been using Erie Dearie Silver Leaf spoons with great results. One day last year, the walleyes wouldn't even look at a Stinger, and I took two limits od eyes on the Silver Leafs, not one on a Stinger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two years ago I discovered fintails and ran them just a little but they seemed to do pretty well. So last year I started out running them 50/50 with stingers. By the end of the year it was more like 80/20 in favor of fintails. That is how I'm starting out this year. I run then behind dipsies and my favorite colors are watermelon and a gold with yellow ladder tape.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the 80/20 percentage is pretty close to what I run also.We troll 6 rods off my boat,4 with dipsy's,and 2 with jet 20's.I've been hooking up 4 with Fin-Tails,and the other 2 with the Stinger's.So far this year,it's been fairly equal,walleye's seem to like both spoons.Personally,I like the action of the Stinger's a bit better,and the quality of the Fin-Tails better.Like one other guy said,I wish that the Fin-Tails had more color choices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts