close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

stinger spoons ???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by BigDaddy300, May 30, 2007.

1. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Getting into the Erie thing with the spoons and was wondering if you guys upgrade the hooks. I have heard that single hooks are used sometimes. Thanks guys.

2. I have been using single hooks for three years now and feel I lose less fish due to the mostly total penetration of the larger, more open bend. Size 1/0 for the smaller spoons ans 2/0 for the larger. Mustad single'e have a shorter shank than Siwash but they both work. Also a lot less both with tangled hooks in the net. I have a Beckman bag on my Cummins net and was able to remove all 21 fish yesterday without a tangle.:)

3. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I havn't switched over all my spoons to the siwash hooks, but I plan to. So far this year, no drops and all caught on the siwash have been solidly hooked. I'm a believer. Less hooks to tangle in the net, all good.

4. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

You can't beat the Gamakatsu open end Siwash hooks. Size 1/0 for the Stingers (or any smaller spoon), and 2/0 for the medium spoons. The Mustad hooks are decent hooks for penetrating the fish's mouth, but they are extremely brittle when it comes to unhooking the fish. A few turns with the pliers, and they sometimes break.

Also, the quality of the Silver Streak and Ole Pete spoons are far superior to the Advanced Tackle Michigan Stingers. I was reminded about the lack of quality in the paint of the Stingers this past weekend. I had four different Stingers lose all but a piece of paint the size of a match head after three or four fish. I will not be spending anymore of my money on Stingers.

5. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

I have the same issue with the silver plated ones, the copper plated seem to hold alright. Are you seeing the same thing ?????

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

The silver spoons do seem to suffer the paint loss more often, but I have had the paint come off of the non hammered copper spoons.

7. To clarify a point I offer that we, Het and I lost six fish last night. Of the four I lost, three were on spoons that I had not changed over to single hook.

8. Het, give those Moonshine spoons a try. The paint will not come off those baits.

9. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

I have ran the moon shine spoon several times now but only taken one fish on them. For that one fish No scratches or chips. I even ran stingers where no fish caught but paint came off any how. I like the ole pete and Yacks spoons.

10. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Thanks guys for all the advice. Where do you get the single hooks and the other spoons that you mentioned?