close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stillwater

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Kept on driving last nt as every bridge I came to had cars parked so I went way N to a distant walk-in stretch to find someone already there. I went up from where he was as he was walking up the middle of the river. Why do that if it's small enouh to cast across? Anyway, fished for a bit w/ nothing.Moved to another pool and saw a large carp cruisin' the shallows so I pitched a tiny craw imitation to it and it turned on it like a pike on a bluegill but over-shot it in it's enthusiasm. It was frantically looking for the craw that got away (wrong place doofus!)so I picked it up and made another presentation and the fish rushed over and sucked it in. Smoked over 100' of line on it's first run. It was a long pool w/ wood at both ends so I kept leveraging to keep her in the middle every time she ran toward either end. 34" and fat as a summer hog! I can't bring myself to plunk a chunk of bait at the bottom of a deep hole to catch 'em (too boring)but stalkimg them in shallow water is fun.Got several modest smallies and lost track of the rockbass before I called it a night,all on a 1 1/2" craw. That's about the size of the babies right now and everybody in the river is lookin' to eat them! TC1