Stillwater (North) 4/23

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by WishinIwasFishin, Apr 24, 2008.

1. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

I hit the Stillwater River last night between Covington and Pleasant Hill (North). The stretch was a very smooth and wide stretch of the river. I worked the banks with my kayak and floated down to the dam. I had my best success in the pools just below the dam. The water was nearly perfect for these pools.
    My catch:
    6 rock bass (all around 9" and fat)
    2 smallies (small)
    1 largemouth (small)
    1 catfish (small)

I fished with bass minnows and a cork until I used a topwater Rapala at the end. I did expect better success, but I was pleased to get out in the warm breezes.
    For those of you who fish small lakes and rivers, I would suggest looking into getting a kayak. I've used mine only 3 times now and I love it. I can really move around well into tight, shallow areas and paddle upstream. This is much easier than using my jon boat (and quiet).

2. When you say "dam" are you talking about the one by the 4H camp off Lauver Rd?

3. WishinIwasFishin

No. The low head off of Owens Rd (aka Lover's Lane). Just south of the Cabin at the mouth of the Stillwater and Panther (Painter) Creek. I have floated that stretch by Lauver Rd and the 4H camp. I don't recall any sort of dam.

4. I see. I didn't know there was a dam over there. The area I mentioned just has a little pile of rocks that some people call a "dam". I'll have to find that real one sometime.

5. WishinIwasFishin

It is small and low. It was built for the old Sugar Grove Mill. Private property on both sides down to it. Either need to wade, boat, or ignore the postings! Good luck.