close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stillwater help, please

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by XL506, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Hey guys,
    As a lot of you know, After fishing the GMR a year ago, I've pretty much become an addict. Well, Now I was thinking of trying Stillwater. Does this River run close to my area ( New Carlisle, Tipp City, Springfield, Huber Heights ). If so, is it a good area, and what all does this river hold? Thanks for all your help...

Matt

2. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I fish the Stillwater in West Milton and south of there. I have caught smallies and largemouth as well as catfish. I am not a catfisherman so I don't know what specific type of catfish they were, but I catch them occasionally. There is a park right as you enter West Milton, good place to start. Attached is a great map of the river. I enjoy this river, easy to float.

http://www.miamiconservancy.org/resources/pdfs/swr_map.pdf

3. Thanks Fishn, that map really helped.

4. The stillwater comes through Vandalia right near englewood. The stretch between Dog Leg and Peter's is usually a little productive for smallies. Hope this helps.

Dan

5. From the river map, it looks like the Stillwater has a series of small pools created by a good number of low dams. Since you float there often, how far downriver can you go from West Milton before you hit a low dam? How difficult are the portages around these low dams? (I'm old and my canoe is heavy:)

6. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I fish a five mile stretch from West Milton Park...thereare no low dams in that stretch.

7. call the canoe rental place at the park for info.