Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Nothing but Fly Gear
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after watching the radar and OSGS web page I determined the Stillwater would be fishy...so I head up and fish at penny road. I started out with my normal go to fly's clouser's in chart/white ...not one hit...so I change up to more natural colors and go to BIG articulated wooly bugger style flys....Bammmm...first cast...biggest smallie Ive ever hooked and I lost it.....I continued fishing and changing fly's trying to figure out what the fish wanted.....nothing.....and more nothing.....I finally managed to catch 2 and lost 2 .....water temp was 78 degrees....I fished the deeper holes and ripples using everything ...fishing was very slow .......even when the fish would hit , they didn't hammer the fly as smallies normally do......I bet if I would have had some rabbit strip patterns I would have had a few more for the count today......

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Well after watching the radar and OSGS web page I determined the Stillwater would be fishy...so I head up and fish at penny road. I started out with my normal go to fly's clouser's in chart/white ...not one hit...so I change up to more natural colors and go to BIG articulated wooly bugger style flys....Bammmm...first cast...biggest smallie Ive ever hooked and I lost it.....I continued fishing and changing fly's trying to figure out what the fish wanted.....nothing.....and more nothing.....I finally managed to catch 2 and lost 2 .....water temp was 78 degrees....I fished the deeper holes and ripples using everything ...fishing was very slow .......even when the fish would hit , they didn't hammer the fly as smallies normally do......I bet if I would have had some rabbit strip patterns I would have had a few more for the count today......
I had a very similar night and morning on the LMR. I started fishing around
3 a.m. I started off swinging larger streamers for Hybrids---- no luck. 3 Hours produced 1 nice sauger :confused:
Once daylight arrived the fishing was just as tough{for me} 3 more hours produced only 4 smallies, largest around 14 inches, the others much smaller. I stayed with the larger baits including a ''natural'' bunny leach. I like to swing the larger baits in the current and fish high in the water column. I know it's not always the best method but I love to see a fish come up for the fly { water was very clear}. I had two better fish make halfhearted swipes at the Leach. Like Flymaker said, They just wouldn't Hammer it. Funny --I came home thinking I would have done better with a cone-head bugger. Well, At least we were out there trying. Tough day on the water for me
Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts