Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
newby
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, been awhile since ive been on here to check out how things have been going. ive been spending my weekends rebuilding my boat and let me tell you its a tough job, ive replaced wood under the main floor new foam in places it needs to be and now have the main floor cut and ready to go in but i have some more glassing to do. here are a few pics of what i have done so far. had someone ask me wouldnt it have been easyer to buy a new boat, i said sure are you gonna buy it for me because its alot cheaper to do what i am doing than buy another boat.

Attachments

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
what type of boat is it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Big Rob keep at it, I like yourself have spent a good amount of time restoring an old flat bottom. It's alot of work but you'll appreciate it that much more! Its what I like to call "time well wasted";)

·
Banned
4 Posts
The first roofing contractors association which was in Chicago dates back to 1870's. The great Chicago fire in 1871 caused disastrous effect to people and their homes. After the fire, there were huge demand for re - constructing roofs for houses and other business enterprises and weren't many genuine experts who could build roofs within short periods.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i have to applaud you on your efforts. you have taken on a jod i couldnt even dream of doing. and yes when you get done you will have a pleasure most of us will never know. and i believe it will be an awesome feeling every time you put her in the water.

the most i have ever done was a new floor and carpet. and let me tell you that was a job for me. i used marine plywood. and some of the stringers were alittle damaged. so instead of replacing them i took long ceder boards and placed beside the old ones, then screwed and bolted them together. then i sealed the plywood with rubber truck bed liner. then i sealed all the seams and edges with fiberglass. then i started putting down the glue with a tool made for spreading the glue. well it just wasnt working for me, so i threw it out of the boat and used my hands to spread the glue. then put in a high grade marine carpet. the boat is an 86 cobia. so when the boat is gone the new floor will still be floating around.

stick with your boat. you,ll always feel alittle differente about one you,ve restored yourself. the best of luck to you.
sherman

·
newby
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys i appreciate that if anyone is doing what i am i have some places to get glass and resin ALOT! cheaper than buying it from an auto body supply store, i on the other hand was dumb enough to get mine there before i had done some research, i paid $114 a gal for my resin and found it online from a place here in ohio for about $32, paid almost $8 for a peice of glass that was about 2ft by 4ft, i found it 60" wide and they sell it by the ft @ $2.50ft. i wont make that mistake again because i went thru 8 peices of glass on just the structure alone that ive repaired so far

·
here kitty kitty!
466 Posts
just bought a 1984 troller boat 15ft that i stripped down to the bare hull in side... i've already repainted the outside after fixing a few holes...the transom and the floor were so rotted that there was no pieces of wood bigger than about 4inches by 4inches... and there are no stringers at all in this boat... couldn't figure that one out....

so yes i would like to know where you can get an epoxy resin and glass for cheap... along with some pourable 4lb density foam for the floatation....

i also have a 1964 glasspar tacoma 14ft that needs a transom and interior put back in it....no motor....project.... if anybody is interested

i also have a 16ft steury trihull that needs interior....no motor... project... if anyone is interested...

if you didn't live 3 hours away i'd be happy to come over and give you a hand on your boat... i like doing this kind of stuff.... car/hotrods/bikes/trucks.... like puttering around with all that stuff!...

keep at it... it looks good so far...when it's all said and done and you take that maiden voyage... it will be one of the greatest feelings!...:)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I stripped mine down but it is aluminum so it wasnt near the work, proud as a peacock on that first yr and still smile knowing what I have in it hehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts