Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Set The Hook`
4,212 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Carp would be your best bet.. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there aren't too many fish Ohio smallies in the little portage. Not a damn thing wrong with that chunk though, those are plenty of fun. But again, anything is possible. Maybe up in port Clinton at times you'd have a shot at a lake run pig. The Maumee has given me a couple 20 inchers through the years. Not many, but they're in there. Good luck on your quest..

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Scum Frog. Im targeting smallmouth. I have caught pike,rock bass,smallmouth,carp and bluegill. Yesterday while wading I caught 25 plus between smallies and rock bass. I have a kayak now so I would like to get up between port clinton and oak harbor. I will get my fish ohio in the portage. I can feel it. Thank you Basmead. I never fished the maumee for smallmouths. I will someday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its more hit and miss. But then again I havent went out to just target them. I just target smallmouths when I go. So it is an added bonus when I catch one.

·
Native2 Grtr Toledo Area
34 Posts
This 16" Smallmouth was one of six ([email protected]", [email protected]" and a 12") were caught this evening (all within 1 hour and 15 minutes) on the Maumee River. Fishing from shore/wading I use salt tubes primarily. Purple with green metal flake as the sun sets and the section of river is shaded thus, calling for the darker color. I like the silver metallic flake or an off white tube with a black streak down the back, for sunny conditions. Weights vary between 1/4 oz - 3/8oz depending on depth, current and bottom conditions.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=82755&stc=1&d=1378434741

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Do u ever get snagged? Because whenever I use tubes on the river I get snaged
Lighten up the weight you're using. Go with an 1/8 oz if you are using a 3.5" tube or bigger, and go with a 1/16 oz when using smaller tubes. The river is so low right now that bigger weights are just unnecessary.

Don't drag the tube either - hop it. You'll still snag, but it will be less. Practice popping it out of the snag. It works better in current as well. You could also swim the tube - use colors similar to baitfish rather than craw colors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts