Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 22 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my brother gave it another try at his bank fishing spot. We had our lines in the river at 08:00. River was still a little muddy and some current, it was getting hot when the sun was out. There were four rods out with 4 different types of bait. In two and half hours we got ONLY two taps for our efforts. My tap was on raw shrimp his was on cut fresh shad.

We talked with two guys that fish there all the time; they both agreed the commercial fishermen have cleaned out that section of the river. The guy that lives there said he is not wasting any more time fishing since nothing is left. So now it looks like we will have to try another spot in the future. Well at least we did get some fresh air instead watching t.v..

· Registered
6,839 Posts
tourney yesterday had 15 boats, at Tanners creek but most everyone ran upriver into Ohio waters, poor bite for most, only 1 decent fish caught a 27 lb blue, next biggest was only 14 lbs, loads of smaller fish, we put 6 in the boat, our biggest was only about a 6 lb channel. its a frustrating time as the bigger blues are done spawning but are in a recovery mode, it seems, we run into this every year, they should be coming out any day and it should start picking up anytime.
Backupbait ( Randy) and his partner Rob won the event with 4 big channels and a 14 lb flathead, congrats to them.

Salmonid

· Registered
676 Posts
Haven't been on the river much this year. Made it out early morning until being chased off the water due to heat around noon. Caught one around 10lbs and lost 4 heavy hits, they just wouldn't stay pinned. Never had that problem before. Launched out of tanners, steady action in the morning with smaller fish trying to rob my bait but I was running some large pieces of skip Jack so not likely they would be able to get it. Bigger hits came in the heat in deeper water. My strategy was to basically keep an artificial drift going with the trolling motor as there isn't much current. NLC if you can get the boat out and into some deeper water and drift with the trolling motor I have no doubt you will see some action. Good luck

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never tried drift fishing with my boat before,but might give a try. Nothing happened anchor up so far. I am not sure where the deep water is at the New area I Plan on fishing. I will be search ING with the fish finder to try to locate some fish. Not sure how active They will with so warm of water.

· Registered
676 Posts
I never tried drift fishing with my boat before,but might give a try. Nothing happened anchor up so far. I am not sure where the deep water is at the New area I Plan on fishing. I will be search ING with the fish finder to try to locate some fish. Not sure how active They will with so warm of water.
They were very active on Sunday, couldn't go 10-15 minutes without a rod bouncing around. Slowed down when the sun came out but missed a few quality fish without doubt. Fished 30-40ft the first few hours then 40-52 once it got hot. I never anchor up and almost always drift for them. Not sure what kind of graph you have but I can see the cats come up to my bait a lot of the time, pretty cool.

· Registered
6,839 Posts
yup Norb, look for outside bends and drop baits to bottom, give a crank or two off bottom and just drift with the current, what little there is. Even right down the center of the river can produce some nice fish at times. If your gonna waste a few hrs fishing a few spots 30 feet from the boat, you might as well cover a mile of water... its all about finding the fish, not waiting for them to find you when their hunkered down in the holes in late summer.

Salmonid

· Registered
676 Posts
I use a Carolina rig, super simple. 3oz weight, swivel, leader and large circle hook. I mostly musky fish and bass fish from time to time but when it gets hot in the summer I catfish until things cool off enough to musky fish again. It's a nice break to catch some big fish using simple rigs without spending hours chucking huge baits and running all over a lake. Unfortunately I've been having such a great year musky fishing I never replenished my freezer full of skip Jack and used the last of them my last trip out. Will be trying to relearn how to throw my cast net next trip.

· Registered
6,839 Posts
abu, you know the answer to that question, LOL You been doing this long enough..., in a perfect world, prefishing several areas and watching closely the fish finder will tell you where the fish are, some deep areas hold fish, some don't, and they seem to change every year, last years deep hole held lots of fish but this year, hardly any??? always weird. and about the time you find some good holes then the river comes up, adds some current and the search and seek mission starts all over. Generally the more current, the more on the front of and the tailouts of the holes they sit, not always but generally. too much current and look closer to the banks.

Money spent on a quality fish finder with side imaging, gps and high definition sonar is the best money you will ever spend, right behind a quality trolling motor with Ipilot.

Salmonid

1 - 19 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.